Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let a 10 year old...*vent* *Update*

monitor his own medication? 

My 10 year old is on Concerta for his ADHD and Zoloft for his  OCD. He has to take these meds every day, even when he's not in school. The Zoloft is very dangerous if you go cold turkey off of it. 

While he was in California with my exhusband, I would call my ex daily to make sure that kiddo was getting his meds. We've had problems with him getting his meds while he was there before. Every day, I get told yes. 

Well, Kiddo comes home after being in California for five weeks, with TWO FULL pill bottles. Like, more than full. They combined the two prescriptions that were sent out. There were 34 pills in one bottle and 35 in the other. 

I flipped shit and called my ex. Apparently he would tell our son to go take his medicine. My son would jiggle the pill bottles, drink some water and my ex was satisfied. He never once actually gave a pill to my son. 

So I told him that if he can't get off his lazy ass and actually give him and watch him take his pills, he is never coming out there again. (Visitation in our divorce decree is listed as "Visits  are at Mother's discrection") 

So what does the ex do... calls our son and tells our son that I said because he didn't take his medicine, he can't go to his dad's house anymore. My son then texts me and tells me he's sorry for being so stupid. 

WTF? Why on earth would he call a child and tell a child that. It was my ex's responsibility as a parent to make sure the meds were being taken. Not the 10 year old. My eye is twitching. 

Update 

My son was not taking his pills because now that he's on the right doseage and the pills are doing what they are supposed to, he feels fine and feels like he doesn't need them anymore. Which is why when he's at my house, I make sure he takes them every day. 

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
FireMoonGypsy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Hell no. 

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

monitor his own medication? 

My 10 year old is on Concerta for his ADHD and Zoloft for his  OCD. He has to take these meds every day, even when he's not in school. The Zoloft is very dangerous if you go cold turkey off of it. 

While he was in California with my exhusband, I would call my ex daily to make sure that kiddo was getting his meds. We've had problems with him getting his meds while he was there before. Every day, I get told yes. 

Well, Kiddo comes home after being in California for five weeks, with TWO FULL pill bottles. Like, more than full. They combined the two prescriptions that were sent out. There were 34 pills in one bottle and 35 in the other. 

I flipped shit and called my ex. Apparently he would tell our son to go take his medicine. My son would jiggle the pill bottles, drink some water and my ex was satisfied. He never once actually gave a pill to my son. 

So I told him that if he can't get off his lazy ass and actually give him and watch him take his pills, he is never coming out there again. (Visitation in our divorce decree is listed as "Visits  are at Mother's discrection") 

So what does the ex do... calls our son and tells our son that I said because he didn't take his medicine, he can't go to his dad's house anymore. My son then texts me and tells me he's sorry for being so stupid. 

WTF? Why on earth would he call a child and tell a child that. It was my ex's responsibility as a parent to make sure the meds were being taken. Not the 10 year old. My eye is twitching. 

Update 

My son was not taking his pills because now that he's on the right doseage and the pills are doing what they are supposed to, he feels fine and feels like he doesn't need them anymore. Which is why when he's at my house, I make sure he takes them every day. 

"The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth" - Lao Tzu

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

That would be the Concerta.  Not the Zoloft.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

So you say. Between the Zoloft and the Concerta, he was having major withdrawal symptoms. Cold sweats, constant vomiting, shaking, double vision, headaches, he lost five pounds. And for a kid that's 4'11" and 72 pounds on a good day, that's a lot of weight

Quoting Anonymous:

Zoloft is the mildest anti-depressant on the market, with little to no side affects whatsoever.  Going off of it cold turkey is nothing.  Been there, done that.  I love how doctors will tell you anything to keep you on their string.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I asked because mine pulls the fake out with teeth brushing.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting autodidact:

not to absolve your ex of his responsibility to parent, but do you /would you punish your son's behavior as lying?

Yes I do. He is grounded for lying. No video games, no computer (he had to hand-write his book report), no legos. He has his books and his room and that's all he gets. He understands what he did is wrong. Although sometimes I wish I had that magical pen that Dolores Umbridge had. =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My sister, who is an adult, does the same thing. The Zoloft makes her feel better so then she thinks she no longer needs it and stops taking her pills! I think it's common, but so frustrating. A parents job is to monitor what the kids take. It's laziness to just tell a 10 year old to go take your meds! 

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

No, he is not developmentally delayed. But he also has his own mind, and he had made up his mind that he was feeling fine and didn't need the pills anymore. There are many adults that take pills and do the same thing my son did. 

When he was 6 he would take them with no issues. He doesn't feel like he needs them now. 

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Is your son developmentally delayed because of his condition? I can tell my 4yr old to go take her meds (vitamin, probiotic and certain times of the year allergy meds) and she takes them no problem. I set out the meds as I'm getting breakfast ready because she can't yet open the child proof covers, and she usually says when she's done eating that she will go take her medicine, only about 1/10 times do I even need to remind her.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

He doesn't want to take them because he feels fine. The meds make him feel fine. So he thinks he's better and he doesn't need them anymore. A lot like adults on meds. 

I had to sit him down and talk to him about what could happen if he stops taking his meds cold turkey again. 

Quoting Allie_kat1:

At 10, the child should be trusted to take his meds, possibly with a reminder. Especially considering he went through the effort to shake the bottles and get a drink, he knew what he was doing. I think you should be trying to figure out why your child is lying and scheming to get out of taking his meds.

JustahGyrl
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Of course not. My brothers ex did this with their son and he had to get child services involved. It is ridiculous. When kids feel fine they don't think they need more medicine so yes they must be monitored. Worse yet is what if he took all of them at once since he was just given the whole bottles ......

mims826
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I know an 11 year old who's injecting himslef his insulin much better than his parents. 

elkmomma
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

DS is 13 has AS and takes 3 behavioral meds.  He usually reminds me before my first cup of coffee that he needs his meds,  I don't need reminding, he's just in a hurry to get his day started.  I still wouldn't trust him to get his meds alone.  The biggest problem facing most of us with SN kids...at 13 the parent no longer has the right to force them to take meds.  They can choose for themselves.  Not sure why they chose 13 when they still are growing and are not even consensualage for anything else.  For those who don't know this or don't believe it; ask your prescriber.

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Mine does that too. He loses time on his DS if he lies and says he brushes his teeth and doesn't. I ask "Did you brush your teeth? Before you answer you better think about it." And usually he runs upstairs to brush them. 

I did find that buying him one of those stupid toothbrushes that play music while you brush made him a lot better about it. 

Quoting autodidact:

I asked because mine pulls the fake out with teeth brushing.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting autodidact:

not to absolve your ex of his responsibility to parent, but do you /would you punish your son's behavior as lying?

Yes I do. He is grounded for lying. No video games, no computer (he had to hand-write his book report), no legos. He has his books and his room and that's all he gets. He understands what he did is wrong. Although sometimes I wish I had that magical pen that Dolores Umbridge had. =)

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It's important to take the medication even when there are no symptoms.   The chemical imbalance persists - the brain is injured by being left in the presence of this imbalance and symptoms will return, probably worse than ever.  

It's important to remember that these disorders are about a brain chemical imbalance.   It damages brain cells to allow this imbalance to go on and on.   Whatever other annoyances exist with these medications, they do that - they protect the brain from this damaging chemical imbalance.

This is their REAL function - the symptom control is only significant as a sign that the chemical imbalance is being controlled by the medication.

It's quite a bit as if you had shoes on that didn't fit - in fact that's a very good metaphor for these disorders.  

Your feet might not be in agonizing pain til you take a long walk, but the shoes are still damaging your feet, every single day.   Take a longer walk and you'll have a whole domino effect with sore feet, ankles, knees, hip, lower back.

The key is to stop the damage to the feet - that will stop the pain in the feet.

Similarly, these medications control a brain chemistry imbalance.   You might feel great, like you don't need the medication, but if it's stopped, the chemical imbalance comes back and it is not good for the brain to be getting hammered on by that imbalance.

It is good if a child is responsible and takes his medication daily, but the fact is, children often forget or get bored with such routine things.   The parent has to take the responsibility for BEING SURE the medication was taken.

So for example, with some people, you even have to check their mouth to be sure they swallowed it, others go get it themselves, take out the proper amount of  pills and take them every day.   But someone needs to be sure that is happening.

He may grow out of ADHD, and not always need that medication.   Some people even grow out of OCD.   But  just to generalize, he is fairly likely to need to have good medication habits for many years.   So it's important to make sure he gets the medication.

Most kids go through periods of time where they do anything they can to not take their medication.   Usually someone has teased them about it and that's why.   Another kid, a relative...or a custodial parent...or his father may have taken a casual attitude toward it or told him he's doing great and asked why he's still taking it.

If someone the child looks up to makes a negative comment about medication that's often enough to get the kids starting to be deceptive about taking it.

See if the pills come in dissolving form, so he can't spit them out later.   And count pills daily to be sure he's taking them - or give them to him yourself.

It depends on the situation whether the kid can be relied upon to take medication or not.   It's not an age thing, really, it's more about the situation.   If ONE kid teases him for taking it he may refuse it or pretend to take it when he took it ok for years.   Kids are sensitive to teasing and comments people they are in awe of, may make. 

Sometimes kids are more willing if they can actually look at a pet scan or MRI and see the difference.  Some kids think that's incredibly cool, too, LOL.   One of the kids I sat for told me very proudly, 'this medicine is for my amygdala' - why cares if they've got all the biology right, LOL.   As long as they are feeling good about it and taking the medication they need.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My son is on prozac and intuviv. i have them in a pill container but i tell him to take his medication and he does but i always check. i know as the parent that is my duty.

my eight year old is also thinks since he is doing so great he can just quit also

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured