Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Overweight infants

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 207 Replies

Why is this a topic that seems to be overlooked? Can infants be overweight? I find it odd when I hear of 9 month olds wearing 12-18month or 24month clothing. In my opinion, thats overweight. Doctors tell moms when their babies are underweight, but do they ever tell them when their babies are overweight?  Also, why is it so hard for moms to admit they may have overfed their babies and/or their baby is overweight?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sammybby09
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure they do. i have known a few babies that wear much larger clothing then grew out of that stage. i also know a ten year old that weighs over two hundred lbs. she was big all her life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
My seven month old is wearing some 12-18 month stuff. It's normal, baby clothes are sized so small that only tiny babies wear the size they should according to age.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

my cousin had that problem with her son....she was a first time mom and in my opinion overfed him....but it was her decision...hes evened out now that he can decide on his own how much to eat and she learned her lesson for the second baby

dlock25
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM
My daughter was born in July. At Xmas we were buying her 12 month clothes. She was chunky but her doctor said she was fine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is this a topic that seems to be overlooked? Can infants be overweight? I find it odd when I hear of 9 month olds wearing 12-18month or 24month clothing. In my opinion, thats overweight. Doctors tell moms when their babies are underweight, but do they ever tell them when their babies are overweight? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My son has always been in the 97+ percentile for his weight, but also for his height. So he was one of those 9 month olds in 12-18 month clothing, I assure you, he isn't overweight.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM
A girl I went to school with had a premature baby. At the age of 3 months they started giving him cereal in every bottle. He is fat because of it. She thinks it's so cute how "chunky" he is. I think its unsafe and worrisome. His fat rolls have fat rolls. At 9 months she bragged how her baby was growing so fast and was already in 24 month clothing. Its disgusting. Why would you intentionally make your child fat?
Anonymous
4 moms liked this
Taller babies would need larger sizes. So your logic is flawed.
Anonymous

I have a friend whose children are obese.. And I mean that. I have an overweight child and two think children, but this woman has children that are disturbingly huge. So much so my SO wanted to say something to her about the way she feeds her children. We visited them once for vacation and the amount of food that they eat is just astronomical :/ Kicker is, she says the doctors NEVER say anything to her. I am floored by this. 

My kids have doctors saying to be careful about what they eat, etc, because we are an overweight family and come from a long line of overweight people...

melodyhour
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know. My son is 6 and underweight, but he was a HUGE baby and toddler. His doctor told me that it is normal for babies to be chunky and then slim down. As long as the baby is not eating a bunch of junk I don't think it is a big deal to have baby fat.
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM
My babies were never fat. Just big. Still are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)