Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ODD isn't fake

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why do people tend to think it doesn't exist? It isn't a fake disorder. I have been dealing with this disorder for  almost 5 years with my ds. all of my ds principals, vice principals, and teacher for the past 5 years know it is in fact a real disorder. ODD is more than a misbehaved child.  There is more to it than that.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Replies (151-160):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM

for an adult they have to learn way to cope and control the disorder. for children they are still learning how to control their disorders. not saying that is should be used as an excuse because it should never be used as an excuse but at the same time, they little minds are still trying to come to terms and learning how to control a disorder that they don't quit understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

And I do agree. Just bcause you have bipolar, don't mean you can go out and be crazy and spend all your money (guilty :(: here), or maybe dropping \VERYTHING you have just to go on a cruise (I know someone who did that..and yup.. he was dx bipolar), or even go out to cheat on a S/O! Its irresponsible.. and a lot of the times, you'd find someone that says, its who I am, I can't help it... which to me is utter B/S.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Ah well per my experience and time here on CM most mental disorders are in some way, shape or form fake. Just an excuse for insert behaviour here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who all thinks that "mental illness" is just a tag?

"I've got bipolar"

Is that real?

Idk?

I was diagnosed and my psychy told me I was disabled and that I need to be on disablity for it.

I hate ppl who say you're fake. I think they're just jealous.

Kudos to you mom for raising your kid. These know-it-alls can jump off a cliff lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I agree. As a child I use to act out and misbehave. I use to set fires and run away from home. They said it was just a child doing childish things. as I got older, I started smoking and I was very permiscuis. Never thought anything of it.. I was just being who I wanted to be (if that made any sense?) So anyhow.. now that I'm in my 30's and children of my own, I try to teach them coping skills I've learned and showing them the difference. Also, I read from a teens life study guide to help my oldest.. she will be 13 in a mnth! But right now she needs help!

Quoting Anonymous:

for an adult they have to learn way to cope and control the disorder. for children they are still learning how to control their disorders. not saying that is should be used as an excuse because it should never be used as an excuse but at the same time, they little minds are still trying to come to terms and learning how to control a disorder that they don't quit understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

And I do agree. Just bcause you have bipolar, don't mean you can go out and be crazy and spend all your money (guilty :(: here), or maybe dropping \VERYTHING you have just to go on a cruise (I know someone who did that..and yup.. he was dx bipolar), or even go out to cheat on a S/O! Its irresponsible.. and a lot of the times, you'd find someone that says, its who I am, I can't help it... which to me is utter B/S.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Ah well per my experience and time here on CM most mental disorders are in some way, shape or form fake. Just an excuse for insert behaviour here.

Quoting Anonymous:

"I've got bipolar"

Is that real?

Idk?

I was diagnosed and my psychy told me I was disabled and that I need to be on disablity for it.

Kudos to you mom for raising your kid. These know-it-alls can jump off a cliff lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM

My dd is a month away from being 14 and OMG,  she drives me crazy. i do wonder if maybe she has some form of a disorder. she does have adhd but it is more than that.

My ds has adhd , and ODD. and it is a trail with him. teaching how to control his anger and aggression, trying to teach him coping skill and other outlets for his anger. He is 10.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. As a child I use to act out and misbehave. I use to set fires and run away from home. They said it was just a child doing childish things. as I got older, I started smoking and I was very permiscuis. Never thought anything of it.. I was just being who I wanted to be (if that made any sense?) So anyhow.. now that I'm in my 30's and children of my own, I try to teach them coping skills I've learned and showing them the difference. Also, I read from a teens life study guide to help my oldest.. she will be 13 in a mnth! But right now she needs help!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

"I've got bipolar"

Is that real?

Idk?

AshandJax
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

My Aspie has ODD as well. 

I didn't really believe in those sorts of things... But I KNEW something was different about my son especially when NOTHING worked for discipline. Is been two years and we have finally figured out my puzzle child. Now, thankfully he has proper help and has improved, but the ODD is the biggest thing and hardest to control. It can be scary....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM
ouch :(

My oldest (12) has ADHD and undefined psychosis, they are thinkin she's got something more but I'm afraid to allow them to do anythiing further. She's scared they will give her more meds. She has a right in what she takes too.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd is a month away from being 14 and OMG,  she drives me crazy. i do wonder if maybe she has some form of a disorder. she does have adhd but it is more than that.

My ds has adhd , and ODD. and it is a trail with him. teaching how to control his anger and aggression, trying to teach him coping skill and other outlets for his anger. He is 10.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

"I've got bipolar"

Is that real?

Idk?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Their is no off the hook for this disorder. And discipline.... yeah the discipline that would be required to make children like this behave would cross the line into child abuse. Discipline? My poor son eats and breathes discipline, as we are determined to make sure he can live as normal a life as possible. My ds stays in trouble more often than not. But you just go ahead and keep your head where it is. Until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes, don't judge them or their children!
xElizabethx
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM

The thing about ODD is it is a list of symptoms that a child/teen happens to fit into at some point. It is helpful to know if a child/teen fits these symptoms when it comes to treatment and how you approach discipline and so on. Just because a child/teen has enough of the symptoms to be officially labeled ODD does not mean they will a month or year down the road. (Basically, it isn't like bipolar or schizophrenia) At least, this is how it has been explained to me time and time again by the many mental health professionals in DD's life.

I think most people who don't have experience with a kid labeled as ODD don't realize how different they really are when compared to an average child or "bad" child. I've heard people say that kids with ODD are just brats that need discipline. Um, I don't think they would have very much success disciplining DD. It has taken us over a year to find a method that works and now DD no longer meets the criteria for ODD.

RobinChristine
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Not a bash, and not trying to be funny but...

When diagnosed with ODD i is it possible for kids to control themselves in certain situations?

I have a friend who is custodial grandma and E just  was diagnosed early spring. At home she shows all the signs BUT at school no trouble.

Grandma is not the only adult in the home,E also lives with 2 other grandparent figures,should grandma be the only one  telling E what to do? Should they sit down as a family and have a meeting basically saying this is what we  expect from you? E lives with grandma because her moms fiance and her do not get along and things were getting to difficult for all involved

keyonasmommi
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Very real I have it and school was a mess for me
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:22 AM
My guess is that it is very real, but like ADHD its way over diagnosed and is usually just parents being too lazy to parent. No way there are as many kids with ODD and ADHD as you hear about on cafemom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN