Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you ever feel bad?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 14 Replies
For the kids who can't enjoy a cookie or piece of candy or soda. I'm talking every once in a while a treat. It saddens me that a kid is forbidden to have a cookie. :(((
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM

given the rise in juvenile obesity or juvenile onset diabetes, I feel bad for the kids who are given the candy and cookies.

ROBIN-C
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I do because there is a good chance that when they are older they will over endulge in junk food when they are in charge of feeding themselves. Maybe not, but some people go to the opposite extreme.

i don't keep that stuff on hand here, but daughter knows she can have it in moderation. For example going to grandmas and having a soda is a special treat at grandmas! 

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Yes. I have a feeling there are going to be more than a few neurotic adults when these kids grow up if their mothers are any example. 

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I want a cookie now

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I do.  They don't get to learn moderation or self control.

Sure, some kids get way too many cookies, but the underlying problem again is that they arent' taught moderation or self control. 

Doesn't matter which end of the spectrum you jump to, the end result is likely the same:  They grow up enough to leave Mommy's apron and aren't prepared for the real world.

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Yep.

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM
No, not at all.

A perfectly ripe juicy strawberry is a treat...id bet most people would rather have a perfect peach than an Oreo, kwim?

Its all relative.
UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Because they dont have cookies?!?

Seems like a pretty big leap to go from whole food diet to societal failure, dont you think?

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Sure, some kids get way too many cookies, but the underlying problem again is that they arent' taught moderation or self control. 

Doesn't matter which end of the spectrum you jump to, the end result is likely the same:  They grow up enough to leave Mommy's apron and aren't prepared for the real world.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

You're drawing the wrong conclusion.  The societal failure is the failure to teach and educate children.  Whether you go from one extreme to the other, in the end the child reaches adulthood with no grasp on how to moderate.  

If you are totally free, give the child whatever they want, they are likely going to grow up and be shocked and confused when they don't get all they want, or when too many treats/indulgences have negative consequences.

If you are very strict and never allow them to learn risk v benefits or pro v con, then they are likely to grow up and be shocked when there ARE consequences and options.  And without having been taught the whys or hows, they are likely to make some poor decisions.

I think the best route to go is to teach your child WHY they can't have cookies all the time.  To teach them about cookie alternatives at other times.  But once they start to get to a certain age, it's impractical to think you can stop any cookie from ever crossing their lips.  So at least when they get to that age at sleepovers or using their own money to buy food, when they decide whether or not to eat a cookie, they are making an educated decision. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Seems like a pretty big leap to go from whole food diet to societal failure, dont you think?

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Children have plenty of opportunites to learn self regluation regardless of diet. You can be a gluttonous, implusive pig and a healthy eater.

What youve got is a false dichotomy.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

You're drawing the wrong conclusion.  The societal failure is the failure to teach and educate children.  Whether you go from one extreme to the other, in the end the child reaches adulthood with no grasp on how to moderate.  

If you are totally free, give the child whatever they want, they are likely going to grow up and be shocked and confused when they don't get all they want, or when too many treats/indulgences have negative consequences.

If you are very strict and never allow them to learn risk v benefits or pro v con, then they are likely to grow up and be shocked when there ARE consequences and options.  And without having been taught the whys or hows, they are likely to make some poor decisions.

I think the best route to go is to teach your child WHY they can't have cookies all the time.  To teach them about cookie alternatives at other times.  But once they start to get to a certain age, it's impractical to think you can stop any cookie from ever crossing their lips.  So at least when they get to that age at sleepovers or using their own money to buy food, when they decide whether or not to eat a cookie, they are making an educated decision. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)