Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cat ran over, Officer recorded saying "run it over again" over the dispatch radio. audio in post

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 8 Replies

This happened a town over from me. It is not the first time the PD for the city had been caught saying cruel things about injured cats. The last time, an officer said in fromt of a handful pof county employees that an injured cat should "be kicked" and "we should set the k9 unit on it"

This video was obviously edited, but I did hear the original and the edit did not change the context of the comment at all.

β€œIf people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM

bump

la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

put it out of its misery? is that how they meant it?

JanineDeer
by Janine on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM

oh for heaven's sake NO police ought to be called for an injured CAT.  That is NOT what I want the police doing with their time!!!!  If the person doing the calling cannot pick the CAT or any other animal up and take it to a vet themselves. that is NOT the police's  job.

There are millions of feral and pet cats in the world.  I don't even think we should even TRY to save them.  We should put them down if injured.  If it is someone's pet.. .well if they love it they should NOT let it outside.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

There is NO ACO for this city, The police are supposed to handle these calls. No one knows if this was a ferel cat or a pet. I am slao not saying we should try to save a severly injured cat on the tax payers dime. If the cat needs to be put down, it should be done humanely and shouldn't be a joke broadcast over the radio.

Quoting JanineDeer:

oh for heaven's sake NO police ought to be called for an injured CAT.  That is NOT what I want the police doing with their time!!!!  If the person doing the calling cannot pick the CAT or any other animal up and take it to a vet themselves. that is NOT the police's  job.

There are millions of feral and pet cats in the world.  I don't even think we should even TRY to save them.  We should put them down if injured.  If it is someone's pet.. .well if they love it they should NOT let it outside.

β€œIf people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I did that to a raccoon I hit once. I felt awful, but it was still alive and I wasn't going to catch it and Ihad no other means to end it's suffering. It is dangerous to try to handle an animal that is that badly injured. You don't know if it is vaccinated or even if it is tame (obiously the raccoon in my case was not tame or vaccinated). The officers can't just pull out their guns and shoot it.

pregnant

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Most places have an ACO to handle these things. There is protocol to (especially since wild animals and cats can c carry the rabies virus making it a public health issue) and there are humane ways t kill a suffering animal. I just think that the officers response was inappropriate, and considering it isn't the first time a situation like this was handled with such tasteless comments the officers should know better and the city should find it on their budget to hire am ACO to handle these types of calls.

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

I did that to a raccoon I hit once. I felt awful, but it was still alive and I wasn't going to catch it and Ihad no other means to end it's suffering. It is dangerous to try to handle an animal that is that badly injured. You don't know if it is vaccinated or even if it is tame (obiously the raccoon in my case was not tame or vaccinated). The officers can't just pull out their guns and shoot it.

MYBABYANDI
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

should be fired

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Awe:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN