Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The 16 and Pregnant & Teen Mom Controversy - Glamorizing Teen Pregnancy?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 31 Replies

Are these shows glamorizing teen pregnancy?

Some say that showing the stories of the pregnant teens and the teen moms glamorizes teen pregnancy, and statistics do reveal that more teenagers have been getting pregnant since 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom have aired.

Even though the show demonstrates the difficulty of teen pregnancy and being a teen mom, some think teens will still think that getting pregnant is "the thing to do" because the girls on TV are doing it and making it.

What are your thoughts on these shows about teens having babies?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's possibly a chicken and egg conversation - did an increase in teen pregnancy lead to the show's creation or did the show's creation lead to an increase in teen pregnancy? Or, maybe they increased simultaneously for unrelated reasons?

I happen to think the Puritanical views many parents have nowadays about not teaching their children about sex and how to be safe and responsible as opposed to just saying, "Don't do it!" has a lot to do with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I understand what you're saying about parents not really teaching their children about sex and how to have safely. But from what I've seen on here and from a lot of other mother that I've talked to, a lot of parents don't even believe in telling their kids not to do it any more. Many parents that I know believe that their teens will have sex if they want to no matter what is said to them, so they believe in just lining their pockets with condoms and putting their teen and sometimes preteen girl on birth control. I think that since this switch of not even teaching them to wait has also contributed to teen pregnancy.

Quoting Cafe Steph:

I think it's possibly a chicken and egg conversation - did an increase in teen pregnancy lead to the show's creation or did the show's creation lead to an increase in teen pregnancy? Or, maybe they increased simultaneously for unrelated reasons?

I happen to think the Puritanical views many parents have nowadays about not teaching their children about sex and how to be safe and responsible as opposed to just saying, "Don't do it!" has a lot to do with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I would not let my dd watch those shows!

skittlefart
by Taste the Rainbow on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Don't really have an opinion on the teen shows itself, but do agree that media in general has a big factor play in it. There's so much "sex sex sex" ....it's just too much...

photo Nickysilly_zps1bdda502.jpg
elkmomma
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Well, there's been at least one who finally admitted to getting pregnant just to get on the show.   IMHO, the show should be cancelled.   I watched my neighbors girl come home crying after being bullied / teased for having a baby when she was only 14.  Her tormentors kept referring to the show and how she did it on purpose for all kinds of unkind reasons.  Quite honestly, she is a better Mom than many adults I know.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Ahh, yeah, I've seen that, too, and that's a swing too far in the other direction. It was easy for me to not have sex at all as a teen, though, because I had 6 younger siblings by the time I was 12, lol. All I had to do was look at the ketchup-and-mustard-on-white bread sandwich I had for dinner and all the screaming kids and  *voila!* instant birth control! ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand what you're saying about parents not really teaching their children about sex and how to have safely. But from what I've seen on here and from a lot of other mother that I've talked to, a lot of parents don't even believe in telling their kids not to do it any more. Many parents that I know believe that their teens will have sex if they want to no matter what is said to them, so they believe in just lining their pockets with condoms and putting their teen and sometimes preteen girl on birth control. I think that since this switch of not even teaching them to wait has also contributed to teen pregnancy.

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Mine don't watch, either - they're in bed right now.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would not let my dd watch those shows!

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely too much sex in the media and too little parenting at home, I think.

Quoting skittlefart:

Don't really have an opinion on the teen shows itself, but do agree that media in general has a big factor play in it. There's so much "sex sex sex" ....it's just too much...

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:16 PM

That's really sad. I do think there are plenty of teen moms who are capable of being really great moms just as there are plenty of adults who aren't, but I don't know that the show influences as many as people think. I think some girls just use it as their excuse after the fact.

Quoting elkmomma:

Well, there's been at least one who finally admitted to getting pregnant just to get on the show.   IMHO, the show should be cancelled.   I watched my neighbors girl come home crying after being bullied / teased for having a baby when she was only 14.  Her tormentors kept referring to the show and how she did it on purpose for all kinds of unkind reasons.  Quite honestly, she is a better Mom than many adults I know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM
LOL!
Quoting Cafe Steph:

Ahh, yeah, I've seen that, too, and that's a swing too far in the other direction. It was easy for me to not have sex at all as a teen, though, because I had 6 younger siblings by the time I was 12, lol. All I had to do was look at the ketchup-and-mustard-on-white bread sandwich I had for dinner and all the screaming kids and  *voila!* instant birth control! ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)