Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

__update___does this birth plan really seem so ridiculous?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 196 Replies
1 mom liked this
Update: I appreciate everyone's input I have decided to change my plan based off of what ya'll have said and after speaking with my doctor
*I would like a hep lock instead of a iv
*delay cord clamping and cutting for 1-3 minutes
*I prefer to tear naturally instead of an epistomy
*if induction is necessary I prefer pitocin as a last resort.
*baby is to be given vaccines the day after birth

the others I found out my doctor wont agree to a vbac with out them and I decided that I would wait one day to give vaccines/shots until the pediatrician comes to check the baby out to give me advice. Iam not including any thing regarding a csec because doctor told me id only have one in an emergency situation which I would have no control over because what is important to me is not to them. They only care about getting baby out quickly and safely.
*no pain medication unless asked for. 
*absolutely no epidural
*absolutely no pitocin
*no iv unless iam dehydrated, if I must have an iv I would prefer it as late in labor as possible. 
*i expect to be free to walk around and use the restroom
*I would prefer not to have constant fetal monitoring.
*I prefer not to have an episiotomy unless necessary
*in the case a cesarean is medically necessary and I agree the important things to me are that I be awake and be able to hold my baby immediately.
*delay cord clamping and cutting for at least 1-2 minutes
*I refuse for the baby to be given eye ointment, vitamin k injection or hep b vaccine.

i don't think it is so crazy. Like I said in the beginning its just a plan but most of tgese things seem simple enough. If there is something that you feel im just asking too much of let me know please.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catrig
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Sounds fine to me, I'm sure others will disagree.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
If you do have to have a csection, there is no guarantee that you can stay awake. If the spinal fails they will put you under.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22boys333
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would personally disagree with the fetal monitoring.....Only b/c part way through labor with my ds, they suddenly lost his heartbeat and had to do an immediate c-section and if they hadn't been monitoring, they might not have acted fast enough.......The rest sounds fine.

MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM
35 moms liked this
My birth plan is to have my baby.
mellyfury
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds reasonable good luck!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Understandable, but id like them to try a spinal first at least

Quoting Devious333:

If you do have to have a csection, there is no guarantee that you can stay awake. If the spinal tap fails they will put you under.

Val99
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I wish you well with that.

I was in labor for 2.5 days with my daughter and you could hear me screaming for drugs in the next county.  The doctor said no though, because this was a time period where all natural was all the rage.  It was traumatic and I was so exhausted I fell asleep almost as soon as she was born, so I received no enjoyment of the new baby for over 24 hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM

If it works for you then so be it.

The second I walk through that door for my induction I've pitched a fit about for four weeks I expect to be given an epidural and an IV. Just because of past experiences.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM
That's kinda how it goes anyway. I've never understood the need for a birth plan.
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Review it with your doc/midwife. A lot of places want at least a hep lock and cont monitoring if you have had a prior c/s.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)