Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colonoscopy...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

How many of you have had one? What was your experience like? Is it totally painful and terrifying?

I just got a call from my doctor that I have to have one by age 29 (I'm 22 now) because my mom was diagnosed at age 39 and died at age 40 of colon cancer...

I'm terrified.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM

BUMP!

plumbobtoggle
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I've had one, and even though I was technically awake during the whole thing, I don't remember anything until it was over with and the doctor was talking to me about what he saw. I remember him telling me to go ahead and "break wind" if I needed to, because it was completely normal. Other than being a little gassy for the rest of the day, I was fine, I wasn't sore or anything.

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I took my grandma to have one and she was fine. She just woke up loopy.
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I'm sorry :(. I'd be nervous too. I've never had one.

Whenever life gets tough I just remember this..

The Water Temple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM

So you don't feel it?

Quoting plumbobtoggle:

I've had one, and even though I was technically awake during the whole thing, I don't remember anything until it was over with and the doctor was talking to me about what he saw. I remember him telling me to go ahead and "break wind" if I needed to, because it was completely normal. Other than being a little gassy for the rest of the day, I was fine, I wasn't sore or anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM

my ex had one done, they knocked him out, he didn't feel a thing, didn't feel anything after either.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
You have a long time, by then it will be a different procedure probably. I had one two years ago. It wasn't a big deal. You go poop a bunch, they knock you out, look up your butt, which you have no idea is goin on, then you wake up sleepy. That's all. That's my experience anyhow.
Kelsmomma123
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
my mom had one and man she was high as a kite after LOL. I laughed so hard. she was being so silly and asking the same things over and over. but she said it did not hurt and she has a very low pain tolerance. she said the worst part was the night before drinking all that nasty stuff to clean her out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
plumbobtoggle
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

You do, but one of the drugs they gives you makes you not remember it. I have no memory of any pain, but I know how they're performed, so I know I was awake and felt it at the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

So you don't feel it?

Quoting plumbobtoggle:

SilverOcean84
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I say the only part that's bad is the prep you need to do before the procedure. I had 4 of them and I am 28 (I have Crohn's). I suggest for the prep you mix the whole bottle of miralax with lemon lime gatorade and drink 16 oz at a time (64 ounces total) within 4 hours. This will need to be near a toilet as it wont take long to clean your system. As for the procedure its self that doesn't hurt and most of the time you are under sedation. You will be gassy and the cramps are just gas. Hope they don't find anything and good luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured