Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dinner help?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 7 Replies
I can't seem to come up with a plan for tonight's dinner. I took out some ground venison and was thinking tacos, but now I'm not sure. Something mexi but not tacos? I don't have tortilla chips but have small wheat tortillas, onion, green pepper, cilantro, tomatoes, also rice or potato for a starch. I have a near full fridge and pantry, just no vision, help inspire me, please?
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
209mom4you
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Enchiladas
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Tostadas

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I always cheat and use the canned sauce, do you recommend a good homemade recipe for enchilada sauce?

Quoting 209mom4you:

Enchiladas
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM
I could totally fry those little tortillas up and just pile stuff on, good idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tostadas

209mom4you
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I'm also a cheater on that one lmao

Ingredients
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup chili powder
2 cups chicken stock
10 ounces tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
In a medium saucepan heat oil, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 minute. Add chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken and smooth out. Adjust the seasonings. Serve atop your favorite enchiladas.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/easy-enchilada-sauce-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Quoting olliesmommy2:I always cheat and use the canned sauce, do you recommend a good homemade recipe for enchilada sauce?

Quoting 209mom4you:Enchiladas
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Enchilada Sauce:

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons self-rising flour

1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion salt salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.

2. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt. 

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Sheez, I don't have tomato paste, I save it in a Tupperware and dh threw it out last week.

Quoting 209mom4you:

I'm also a cheater on that one lmao

Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 tablespoon flour

1/4 cup chili powder

2 cups chicken stock

10 ounces tomato paste

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

In a medium saucepan heat oil, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 minute. Add chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken and smooth out. Adjust the seasonings. Serve atop your favorite enchiladas.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/easy-enchilada-sauce-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Quoting olliesmommy2:I always cheat and use the canned sauce, do you recommend a good homemade recipe for enchilada sauce?

Quoting 209mom4you:Enchiladas
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)