Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You Are Way Too American!!! EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies

Apparently my husband & I are strange, along w/one of my best friend's that comes over every Sunday.

Sunday we originally named Crockpot Sunday bc we were doing lots of crockpot meals, but it grew as we all started wanting to try many other new things.

Anyway, my friend and I were chatting about what we were cooking this Sunday at the bus stop & my neighbor jumped in wanting to know what we were making.  Cool she is knew & we've tried talking to her before but she was very standoffish.  Well we happened to be making 4 crockpot meals that weekend & told her that & what they were.

She then proceeded to tell us that using the crockpots made us "too American" and that we are wasting food bc there is no way we could eat all that. First of all she is American, I get they just moved back from Germany (we are all military) but heck even my German friend loves her crockpot & makes many German meals in it.

We ignored her one comment & proceeded to explain that we cook meals for the week and that many of them are also able to be frozen.  Makes life so much easier bc we are so busy & it actually leaves us time to typically sit & eat as a family.  Not to mention one of the meals we make is for Sunday dinner, we all sit & eat & chat like one big happy family.

She then informed us that we are not family & that we are just strange and walked away.

LOL ok, my friends are my family & I wouldn't have it any other way :) 

EDIT: So my neighbor came over today & asked me if I wanted some firewood for my firepit bc she was having her front tree cut down which is where the wood was coming from.

I told her I didn't know as I didn't know what type of tree it was & there are some you just shouldn't cook over.  She totally stopped, stared at me w/some blank WTF stare & said/asked "you cook over your firepit, that just seems weird." 

WTH I can't win w/this woman, lol.  I told her nicely "yes I do, we prefer to cook over a fire than a grill but even if it was just roasting marshmallows there is wood that you shouldn't use."

I got a "whatever I was just trying to be nice."  I wasn't even mean to this woman.

So now I'm too American bc I used my crockpot a lot & I must be weird bc we cook over a firepit.  Oh well, lol :)

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM

bump

WesternNYmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM

LOl. I guess I am too American as well. I love using my crockpot. I use it to make soups, stews, brisket for pulled pork sandwhiches, and even oatmeal.  I love my crockpot. I just add all my meal ingredients into it, put the lid on, turn on the machine, and let the crockpot do its job. The best part is that I can put dinner in the crockpot in the morning, and our meal is ready by supper time, and while dinner is cooking, I can go about my day. I have even used my crock pot  to cook the pork loin I made for Christmas dinner last year. I hate spending an entire holiday in the kitchen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Lol too American? There is such a thing?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I love crock pots and slow cookers. I actually have an electric steamer that works as a slow cooker or steamer. Best investment ever!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I've done whole turkey & hams in the crockpot, so yummy.

We are doing a whole chicken this weekend, so excited to try one of my new rubs.

We just made Tomato Beef Stew, so so good!! 

Quoting WesternNYmom:

LOl. I guess I am too American as well. I love using my crockpot. I use it to make soups, stews, brisket for pulled pork sandwhiches, and even oatmeal.  I love my crockpot. I just add all my meal ingredients into it, put the lid on, turn on the machine, and let the crockpot do its job. The best part is that I can put dinner in the crockpot in the morning, and our meal is ready by supper time, and while dinner is cooking, I can go about my day. I have even used my crock pot  to cook the pork loin I made for Christmas dinner last year. I hate spending an entire holiday in the kitchen.

bex55
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Yes very much so, but I'm not sure using a crock pot is the qualifier.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

According to her there is, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

thejodigirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

What an oddball. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I make no crackpot meals and I find freezing meals gross, so id probably look at you weird too. But never heard of this being "too American"
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Crockpot meals never go to waste around here. They are so easy to freeze or use for leftovers the next day. I love doing meats in the crockpot and using what is left for soups, stews or homemade Mac n cheese. I guess I am too American lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)