Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need help with ideas for a elementary school club

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:46 AM
  • 26 Replies

Our elementary school doesn't have anything for the kids other then a hand full of sports (basket ball, football and wrestling).  So if your kid is not into sports, they are just out of luck.  Well my son and I were talking and he was saying he wishes there was something more.  He like photography, art, music, drama, ect.  Well, I suggested that he could look at starting a student led drama club.  He thought that was great, but also wanted to have maybe a photography club as well.  Since it is a small school I suggested that maybe we could look at getting one club started that has many outlets.. like a "culture" club.  Something that helps promote and support creativity in the students.  I was unable to make it to the first PTP meeting because my dd had a follow up apt with her doctor.  So I asked one of the other moms to bring it up.  Well when I got home I had a message that they nominated me coordinator for the "culture club"... which is cool, I'm excited.. just unsure of how to get things going.  I want this to be student led. So... any advice on where to take things from here?  I don't want to go into it telling the kids what they will be doing, I want them to decide what it is they would like to do, and help them make it happen. 

Would love to hear any advice or suggestions.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2and2onway
by Kimmie on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Arts club would cover most basis. Our school growing up had an Arts club, Computer club, Foreigh Language club and a Multi-cultural club. Many more as we oved up in the grades too.

daughteroftruth
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Quoting 2and2onway:

Arts club would cover most basis. Our school growing up had an Arts club, Computer club, Foreigh Language club and a Multi-cultural club. Many more as we oved up in the grades too.

What did the arts club entail?  Also interested in the computer club, what did that involve?

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Arts could be computer art, photography, paints, sketching etc.

Our computer class was fun with DOS lol, but nowadays it would be different, not too sure how thta would work now.

My childrens elementary school where I live now has Spanish club, Math club, walking club and adding cross country club. In the morning I will look more into these clubs for you.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting 2and2onway:

What did the arts club entail?  Also interested in the computer club, what did that involve?

daughteroftruth
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Thank you!!

I had to laugh at the DOS.. I was trying to explain dos to my 7 yr old the other day.. the look on his face was priceless.  He just couldn't comprehend NOT using a mouse.  He thought I was crazy. 

I would love to get something photography wise going... my 9 yr old has been learning to use my ancient 35 mil this summer.  He is sooo impressed with it, and thinks it is sooo much cooler then a digital... now he really wants to learn how to develop film too.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Arts could be computer art, photography, paints, sketching etc.

Our computer class was fun with DOS lol, but nowadays it would be different, not too sure how thta would work now.

My childrens elementary school where I live now has Spanish club, Math club, walking club and adding cross country club. In the morning I will look more into these clubs for you.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Bleacher-mom
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Are you looking to do several smaller clubs with separate groups doing one thing per group, or one big group that does several different things?

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:23 AM

My dd was in a arts club last year. Every Friday they met after school and created something. She made a place mat that had shamrock in different colors on it. She thought the best part was watching it be lamented lol. But really all they did was draw, color or made things. Lot a fun.

daughteroftruth
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Quoting Bleacher-mom:

Are you looking to do several smaller clubs with separate groups doing one thing per group, or one big group that does several different things?

i think one big group that does several different things.  Its a very small school, so I'm not sure several small groups would work. 

daughteroftruth
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Quoting Jamie1972:

My dd was in a arts club last year. Every Friday they met after school and created something. She made a place mat that had shamrock in different colors on it. She thought the best part was watching it be lamented lol. But really all they did was draw, color or made things. Lot a fun.

ohh, that sounds fun.   We could focus on a differnt thing each week or month...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Our school has a Battle of the Books, Lego Robotics, Chess, and a Journalism club. The kids really seem to like the Lego Robotics club.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM

I think an arts and craft type club would work.  Then at beginning of each month the students can vote between 2 or 3 projects/subjects which one they want to explore together.  DD was in a reading club sponsored by the librarian teacher last year.  She had fun.  It cost 2 dollars and covered 5 weeks i think , one day a week for 1 hr.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)