Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Do you decorate and cook for each new season or holiday? Like in fall have leaf and scarecrow decor? Bake fall favorites? Do you go all out for Halloween and Christmas...Easter etc.? I admit I do, my home, yard and more. I cook excitedly with each season. I don't favor summer at all because it s so boring...lol my confession, I think its odd when people don't decorate and enjoy all the fun opportunities each season and holiday brings, especially if they have kids. If you go all out, why? If not why?
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (61-67):
lulumomof2
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I love buying the Crayola brand markers that you can write on windows with and I take my niece, nephew (and my boys if they want to) and trace their hands on the windows at thanksgiving time and they can decorate their handprints (with the markers) to look like turkeys. I've also used them for every other holiday too. For Christmas one year (I enlisted my sons' help) and we made TONS of snowflakes, in different sizes, out of construction paper and hung them up using string (like fishing line) all through the house. I still remember my sons and I sitting around the table drinking hot cocoa and having (what seemed like) a ton of paper snowflakes! You can also check the dollar store and sometimes garage sales. I tend to buy our decorations for the next year after the holiday is over. Like 8 years ago my dh and I bought a yard blowup arch that said Santa's workshop the weekend after Christmas and got a great deal on it, because it was the store's floor model (the only thing they didn't have was the yard stakes, but you can buy those pretty cheap, so it was a no brainer). I LOVE shopping after Christmas to "stock up" on things like wrapping paper, bows, tags, and also decorations.
Quoting Anonymous:

I wish I could.... :(
But we're poor.
Not poor, we have a comfortable life, a nice house that only needs a few "fixer upper" things and a lot of nice things/extras but we don't have enough to go ALL OUT for holidays, I really wish we could though...
Shoot I would go all out for st Patrick's day and "find a leaf on the ground day"(made up holiday to show my enthusiasm for holidays) but we don't have the money for it so every year we buy a new decoration and some day we will have a ton lol

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

lulumomof2
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I almost forgot, in addition to the things I already posted another thing I like to do when I decorate to not only keep it less expensive, but also reuse things I already have is to save things like milk jugs and make decorations out of those. I buy these animal crackers for my niece and nephew (although everyone eats them because who doesn't like animal crackers!, lol) anyway, they come in a container that looks like a bear, so I'm saving them. Not sure what I'm going to use them for, but I'm thinking I might fill the bottom with sand and put in those LED lights that look like candles or I might put a strand of battery operated Christmas lights in them and depending on how many I'm able to save by the time we start decorating for Christmas, line them up on our front yard patio. What I do to store them is wash them out with hot soap and water, completely dry them and then store them in a rubbermaid tote. I also label what is in the tote on the lid.

Quoting Anonymous:

But we're poor.
Not poor, we have a comfortable life, a nice house that only needs a few "fixer upper" things and a lot of nice things/extras but we don't have enough to go ALL OUT for holidays, I really wish we could though...
Shoot I would go all out for st Patrick's day and "find a leaf on the ground day"(made up holiday to show my enthusiasm for holidays) but we don't have the money for it so every year we buy a new decoration and some day we will have a ton lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM
We do that too, buy things after the holiday :) and thank you for the bear idea!(animal cracker bottles) I have been saving those "Pom" pomegranate bottles to make snow men out of :)

I have a super crafty friend who sews and bakes and does a ton of crafty stuff so I have been saving up all year to make stuff this year :) I'm excited lol

Quoting lulumomof2:

I love buying the Crayola brand markers that you can write on windows with and I take my niece, nephew (and my boys if they want to) and trace their hands on the windows at thanksgiving time and they can decorate their handprints (with the markers) to look like turkeys. I've also used them for every other holiday too. For Christmas one year (I enlisted my sons' help) and we made TONS of snowflakes, in different sizes, out of construction paper and hung them up using string (like fishing line) all through the house. I still remember my sons and I sitting around the table drinking hot cocoa and having (what seemed like) a ton of paper snowflakes! You can also check the dollar store and sometimes garage sales. I tend to buy our decorations for the next year after the holiday is over. Like 8 years ago my dh and I bought a yard blowup arch that said Santa's workshop the weekend after Christmas and got a great deal on it, because it was the store's floor model (the only thing they didn't have was the yard stakes, but you can buy those pretty cheap, so it was a no brainer). I LOVE shopping after Christmas to "stock up" on things like wrapping paper, bows, tags, and also decorations.

Quoting Anonymous:

But we're poor.

lulumomof2
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I LOVE the "Pom" bottle idea!! If you don't mind, I may try that idea!!
Quoting Anonymous:

We do that too, buy things after the holiday :) and thank you for the bear idea!(animal cracker bottles) I have been saving those "Pom" pomegranate bottles to make snow men out of :)

I have a super crafty friend who sews and bakes and does a ton of crafty stuff so I have been saving up all year to make stuff this year :) I'm excited lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM
The cap in a perfect "top hat" when painted black :) and you're very very welcome my ideas are free for the taking lol again thank you for your ideas I'm totally going to steal your snow flake idea lol

Quoting lulumomof2:

I LOVE the "Pom" bottle idea!! If you don't mind, I may try that idea!!

Quoting Anonymous:

clumm
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

we decorate. The kids always help me too.

JakobsMom03
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM

We're looking to buy a home the end of this year or start of next year. I plan to decorate as much as I can, and scoop stuff up as soon as possible! I warned my SO I'd do that. It also meant we needed a good sized kitchen. My Grandmother always did, my mom... not so much. She only goes all out cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and only decorates for Christmas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN