Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So many gifted kids yet the US education its not doing that great. I don't get it.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies

Not one day goes by that I don't see a post or comment about a child who is gifted. A child who is well above their peers, however I never see that same parent saying their kid excel in xyz or that her kid graduated at 18 from college. Im not sure if this is all mom's joy to have an intelligent child or what cause as far as I know the U.S is not doing that great in education compared to other countries. (no research done, this is what I have been hearing) DD is only 6 but from back in my high school days I can tell you I didn't learn much. I learned English because my cousin gave me classes, but I always felt like the school was really bad and not teaching enough. Now I see all these post about gifted kids and yet the education is doing so bad, so I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM
well, people typically will not brag about their kid being average or below so it makes sense to me as to why brag posts are genrall moms talking about their 'gifted' child.

eta: also, being gifted is not about one's education and whether it is good or not. being gifted is inherent and about one's potential and ability to learn

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM
3 moms liked this
US education sucks in general. And most moms aren't going to ever admit that their kid has any struggles.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

well, people typically will not brag about their kid being average or below in so it makes sense to me as to why brag posts are genrall moms talking about their 'gifted' child.

I guess I am different, I don't mind saying my kids is average.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Its funny how none of these moms who have "gifted" kids never have an opinion when being questioned. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM
which is fine and all but would you likely make a post proclaiming how wonderful his/her averageness is...probably not because the image of such does not propel you above other moms on the "im obviously better than you" parenting scale that is so prevalent on message boards.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

well, people typically will not brag about their kid being average or below in so it makes sense to me as to why brag posts are genrall moms talking about their 'gifted' child.

I guess I am different, I don't mind saying my kids is average.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I have "gifted" kids...I have expressed my opinion in this thread. What questions are going unanswered?

Quoting Anonymous:

Its funny how none of these moms who have "gifted" kids never have an opinion when being questioned. lol

ninjakids
by Christina on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM
There is a whole documentary about this (waiting on superman). it shows that the us is very far behind in education and even in Canada we have the same battle. It doesnt mean that its impossible for a child to be gifted, you just hear about it more often because like others and yourself have said..no one is going to brag about their 'average' child.

Now im half asleep..so I cant remember if there is 50 states or 52... but even if there are 600 us students doing what you said at only 50 states... thats only 12 children per state. That is not even every school district in that state.
violetlady
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM
So true. Even countries with poverty or economically disadvantage are doing much better in education . It is sad , it is something not to be proud of.

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

US education sucks in general. And most moms aren't going to ever admit that their kid has any struggles.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I have "gifted" kids...I have expressed my opinion in this thread. What questions are going unanswered?

Quoting Anonymous:

Im questioning how the US is doing so bad in education when there are so many gifted kids out there.

mamav2215
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM

i see nothing wrong with a parent bragging about their awesome kid. if it's insessent of course thats obnoxious, but if your kid achieves something great your just incredibly impressed that your 2 year old can do whatever. Share it. be proud. If you want to continue to brag over and over... people will start to dislike you. 

however, there are tons of extremely illegent kids in our country and there are tons that just above average. unfortunately they don't usually reach their potential because of idiotic things like no child left behind and kids who are struggling don't catch up because of things like standardized testing. Some schools spend 2 weeks on testing that has NOTHIGN to do with their grade in school. How do you learn anything when you're preparing for that kind of test. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)