Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So many gifted kids yet the US education its not doing that great. I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Not one day goes by that I don't see a post or comment about a child who is gifted. A child who is well above their peers, however I never see that same parent saying their kid excel in xyz or that her kid graduated at 18 from college. Im not sure if this is all mom's joy to have an intelligent child or what cause as far as I know the U.S is not doing that great in education compared to other countries. (no research done, this is what I have been hearing) DD is only 6 but from back in my high school days I can tell you I didn't learn much. I learned English because my cousin gave me classes, but I always felt like the school was really bad and not teaching enough. Now I see all these post about gifted kids and yet the education is doing so bad, so I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:50 AM

america is dumbing down our kids...thats why...now the 'core curriculum' is taking place, kids will learn even less...

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Because whether or not your child is 'gifted' means little to nothing with the way the schools are set up today.

They don't want people who can think for themselves.  They want people (to paraphrase George Carlin) just smart enough to flip the switches and do the paperwork, and just dumb enough not to question it.

And to quote the curriculum director of the high school that my mom teaches at: "Kids don't need to know where electricity comes from.  They just need to know enough to keep their damned fingers out of the sockets."

In Florida, Common Core (their replacement for the FCAT) leans more toward teaching kids to learn by rote, while stifiling creative thought and critical thinking.

Doesn't matter if you're gifted or not.  They don't want you to be gifted.  They want people to do what they are told without question, not people who can think for themselves.

sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I have one gifted and one that struggles. My youngest is nonverbal and far below average. I wish the best for both my sons. Idc if others toot their horn and think highly of their childdren
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Quoting violetlady:

So true. Even countries with poverty or economically disadvantage are doing much better in education . It is sad , it is something not to be proud of.

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

US education sucks in general. And most moms aren't going to ever admit that their kid has any struggles.

I know for a fact this, my country The Dominican Reoublic which is poor has an excellent education system. My cousin moved there for about 6 years and she told me the education there is way above the US.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Quoting ninjakids:

There is a whole documentary about this (waiting on superman). it shows that the us is very far behind in education and even in Canada we have the same battle. It doesnt mean that its impossible for a child to be gifted, you just hear about it more often because like others and yourself have said..no one is going to brag about their 'average' child.

Now im half asleep..so I cant remember if there is 50 states or 52... but even if there are 600 us students doing what you said at only 50 states... thats only 12 children per state. That is not even every school district in that state.

Well if we go by CM alone half of the moms here have a gifted child and that is not just 12 kids im sure lol

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Most schools have cut back or eliminated gifted programs. They leave it up to the classroom teacher to differentiate instruction for all levels. Since there is a huge push to get the below kids up to standard, it is sadly not the teachers focus most of the time to make sure the gifted kids are challenges. Also, there is a difference between being gifted and being able/ready to lead you on a path the graduating college when the child is 18. Personally, I would never want that for my child.

Just because a child has a gifted ability in some areas of their life, does not not mean they are emotionally ready to grow up faster than their peers. And one can be gifted in an area that is not academic. One of my dd's is gifted in art. She also is an extremely good math student, and her tests have indicated that she is gifted in that area as well, but she is accommodated within the classroom for that.

There. An opinion from a mother with gifted children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM
The moms are proud of their children, which there is nothing wrong with. But that pride is what leads to the snarky "well, MY kid was accepted to MIT at 2yro!" We all know they're joking and having fun.

The US is behind in education. Last I read, Belgium had the best schools in the world. What's funny about this, though, is that so many international students choose to do their graduate studies here. I asked one of my graduate advisors about this once. His belief was that our schools have become too politicized, meaning that the powers that be won't let the teachers just teach, but have decided to install all of these regulations and protocols (standardized tests) that do not help the individual child learn anything. Whereas, in graduate programs, the students conduct their own studies and research their field of interest. Yes, there are core courses, but even those can be spun in such a way that the individual student can relate those lessons to their own field interests.

Basically, we try to shove our kids into perfect little packages rather than realizing that what's good for one student - or school - or even district, isn't necessarily the same for another.
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Quoting LokisMama:

Because whether or not your child is 'gifted' means little to nothing with the way the schools are set up today.

They don't want people who can think for themselves.  They want people (to paraphrase George Carlin) just smart enough to flip the switches and do the paperwork, and just dumb enough not to question it.

And to quote the curriculum director of the high school that my mom teaches at: "Kids don't need to know where electricity comes from.  They just need to know enough to keep their damned fingers out of the sockets."

In Florida, Common Core (their replacement for the FCAT) leans more toward teaching kids to learn by rote, while stifiling creative thought and critical thinking.

Doesn't matter if you're gifted or not.  They don't want you to be gifted.  They want people to do what they are told without question, not people who can think for themselves.

common core is nationwide. The more the fed gets involved, the worse it will be sadly
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM

If you read from the individuals who have academically (intellectually) advanced children you will see that they're actually teaching and encouraging their children OUTSIDE of their educational institution. 

Far too many individuals put the full support of their child's education on the backs of the teachers in school only, whereas I spend a great deal of time teaching my children at home. They are both academically and intellectually advanced, they're cultured and exposed to many things their peers are not. 

4Poodle
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
My brother was gifted, went to college git a degree in mechanical engineering and has either been fired from jobs or unemployed the last 10 years. What my mom didn't know was he has aspberger's, so he was never properly OTd and now suffers what a lot of undiagnosed sensory disorder kids suffer from. Not necessarily the schools in this instance.
Gifted kids tend to bore quickly, that's why they go to special classes, but we fail them in the professional level and/or private therapy level.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)