Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So many gifted kids yet the US education its not doing that great. I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Not one day goes by that I don't see a post or comment about a child who is gifted. A child who is well above their peers, however I never see that same parent saying their kid excel in xyz or that her kid graduated at 18 from college. Im not sure if this is all mom's joy to have an intelligent child or what cause as far as I know the U.S is not doing that great in education compared to other countries. (no research done, this is what I have been hearing) DD is only 6 but from back in my high school days I can tell you I didn't learn much. I learned English because my cousin gave me classes, but I always felt like the school was really bad and not teaching enough. Now I see all these post about gifted kids and yet the education is doing so bad, so I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM
The education system being good or bad has nothing to do with whether a child is gifted or not.

My kids were gifted, although not identified as such, before they entered the education system. It was obvious from an early age.

Being gifted is not about what they know and are taught, it's about their ability to learn and their potential.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I have "gifted" kids...I have expressed my opinion in this thread. What questions are going unanswered?

Quoting Anonymous:

Its funny how none of these moms who have "gifted" kids never have an opinion when being questioned. lol

Im questioning how the US is doing so bad in education when there are so many gifted kids out there.

LokisMama
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Quoting sweetboys4me:

Quoting LokisMama:

Because whether or not your child is 'gifted' means little to nothing with the way the schools are set up today.

They don't want people who can think for themselves.  They want people (to paraphrase George Carlin) just smart enough to flip the switches and do the paperwork, and just dumb enough not to question it.

And to quote the curriculum director of the high school that my mom teaches at: "Kids don't need to know where electricity comes from.  They just need to know enough to keep their damned fingers out of the sockets."

In Florida, Common Core (their replacement for the FCAT) leans more toward teaching kids to learn by rote, while stifiling creative thought and critical thinking.

Doesn't matter if you're gifted or not.  They don't want you to be gifted.  They want people to do what they are told without question, not people who can think for themselves.

common core is nationwide. The more the fed gets involved, the worse it will be sadly

It's been bad for years with teachers forced to "teach to the test" for whatever standardized test that the state required.  It got worse in Florida over the past couple years with the teachers being judged and reviewed based soley on the results of the FCAT.  

And I agree....it's going to get worse. 

Maxi_Maxi
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Makes me want to move to Finland lol

Quoting violetlady:

So true. Even countries with poverty or economically disadvantage are doing much better in education . It is sad , it is something not to be proud of.

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

US education sucks in general. And most moms aren't going to ever admit that their kid has any struggles.

Bethsunshine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Me either! My kids are bright but they're certainly not gifted. My oldest son's best friend is the only truly gifted child I know. She was reading "The Lord of the Rings" series in kindergarten.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

well, people typically will not brag about their kid being average or below in so it makes sense to me as to why brag posts are genrall moms talking about their 'gifted' child.

I guess I am different, I don't mind saying my kids is average.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this
You do know that other countries don't test their kids the same. USA test all kids and record it, other countries only test some, usually the ones going on to college. So, the scores are skewed.

It's the same with infant mortality rates. I had a stillborn at 32 weeks and had to have a funeral and received a death certificate. Some countries don't even record a baby's death until 3 months. More messed up data.
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I would if anyone cared.  If I posted here that my DD struggled with math, handwriting and attention issues, I'd get hammered with "what are YOU doing to help her" and "OMG, another mom with a speshul snowflake."

My kids struggle.  My oldest is starting 3rd grade and is beginning to struggle with the heavier workload.  My youngest has been in assorted therapies since she was 4 months old, started public school at 3 and is still 3 years delayed in language.

I talk about it freely, just not on CafeMom

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

US education sucks in general. And most moms aren't going to ever admit that their kid has any struggles.

pamelathemommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Natural ability, or being gifted, has nothing to do with how kids are taught. If you don't challenge a child who is ahead of the curve, the child will not stay ahead of the curve. Our education system is, for the most part, set up so that every child receives a basic education. Our system does not focus on students who excel; they aren't causing problems and going above passing on the standardized tests does not provide much benefit to the schools.

Most posts I see on here about gifted children are the younger kids. A few years in school and the gifted kids will be performing at an average level, unless someone intervenes on their behalf.

zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM

In America we cater to the middle, protect the lower and leave the top to flounder. This is my personal opinion.

Bethsunshine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, people think that because their kid was potty trained by the age of 2, that makes them gifted.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ninjakids:

There is a whole documentary about this (waiting on superman). it shows that the us is very far behind in education and even in Canada we have the same battle. It doesnt mean that its impossible for a child to be gifted, you just hear about it more often because like others and yourself have said..no one is going to brag about their 'average' child.

Now im half asleep..so I cant remember if there is 50 states or 52... but even if there are 600 us students doing what you said at only 50 states... thats only 12 children per state. That is not even every school district in that state.

Well if we go by CM alone half of the moms here have a gifted child and that is not just 12 kids im sure lol

Maxi_Maxi
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM
That's sad that nobody was receptive to your concern :(.

Quoting RiotousDigits:

I would if anyone cared.  If I posted here that my DD struggled with math, handwriting and attention issues, I'd get hammered with "what are YOU doing to help her" and "OMG, another mom with a speshul snowflake."

My kids struggle.  My oldest is starting 3rd grade and is beginning to struggle with the heavier workload.  My youngest has been in assorted therapies since she was 4 months old, started public school at 3 and is still 3 years delayed in language.

I talk about it freely, just not on CafeMom

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured