Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So many gifted kids yet the US education its not doing that great. I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Not one day goes by that I don't see a post or comment about a child who is gifted. A child who is well above their peers, however I never see that same parent saying their kid excel in xyz or that her kid graduated at 18 from college. Im not sure if this is all mom's joy to have an intelligent child or what cause as far as I know the U.S is not doing that great in education compared to other countries. (no research done, this is what I have been hearing) DD is only 6 but from back in my high school days I can tell you I didn't learn much. I learned English because my cousin gave me classes, but I always felt like the school was really bad and not teaching enough. Now I see all these post about gifted kids and yet the education is doing so bad, so I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (31-40):
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

My child is gifted and we have always taken a proactive approach to her education.  She was in an IB program in middle school and the school that she is in for high school offers AP and Honors level classes. She will not graduate high school early but she will probably be taking college level classes in her junior and senior year.  

Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I know the feeling! My youngest son has learning issues but I don't talk about it a whole lot, for the same reason as you. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about it ( there is no reason to be),I just don't want to hear the judgement.

Quoting RiotousDigits:

I would if anyone cared.  If I posted here that my DD struggled with math, handwriting and attention issues, I'd get hammered with "what are YOU doing to help her" and "OMG, another mom with a speshul snowflake."

My kids struggle.  My oldest is starting 3rd grade and is beginning to struggle with the heavier workload.  My youngest has been in assorted therapies since she was 4 months old, started public school at 3 and is still 3 years delayed in language.

I talk about it freely, just not on CafeMom

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

US education sucks in general. And most moms aren't going to ever admit that their kid has any struggles.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

My five year old is starting second grade. Our school district will NOT skip kids ahead but once they reach third grade they can join the G&T program. Unfortunately, even if they join the G&T program they are forced to graduate with their peers, they may take a few college classes here and there and test out of some but they still need to graduate with their class. 

This is why I chose homeschooling at the current time. My husband still doesn't know but luckily he trusts me. He sees pros and cons but fortunately, he had a good experience in school outside of being bullied... Everyone in his class hit puberty and wanted girlfriends at twelve and he could not have cared less. His experience is skewed. 

We have many homeschool friends with kids in college and they are 13/14. The parents hs because the schools are failing their bright children. I suspect many of those gifted kids are merely a product of the ps and private school system. 

As for me, I would love for my daughter to gain that extra 2-3 years of work experience in their chosen field. 

SaraBethKY
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I was wondering if someone would mention this. Many countries also don't even let "special ed' kids into schools so of course their average scores are higher. Students with any kind of learning disability just aren't educated and therefore their lower scores don't bring down the average. 

There was a high school in the next county from mine growing up that highly discouraged many students from taking the ACT/SAT because those students weren't expected to do as well and the county wanted to brag about the average test scores of their students. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You do know that other countries don't test their kids the same. USA test all kids and record it, other countries only test some, usually the ones going on to college. So, the scores are skewed.

It's the same with infant mortality rates. I had a stillborn at 32 weeks and had to have a funeral and received a death certificate. Some countries don't even record a baby's death until 3 months. More messed up data.

Ihold8Stars
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I have 8 children. Our city is a choice school city meaning you can send them anywhere as long as they have space.

That said I've seen good and bad schools within the same district. .

I think it does not just depend on the schools!

BUT the Parents.

If you don't do more then send them off depending on a teacher then don't be surprised when they only come back average or less.

I also agree, specially moms of only children tend to talk up the kid..

I have 8 kids and out of My 8 kids I have 2 honor rollers and 1 My eldest DD just started HS with straight A's all honor/ college prep classes.

1 of Mine hangs by floss in terms of passing grades (least he did all last year..) social life was made priority.

3 of My others are happily Average.

My youngest isn't in school yet. He is only 3 but he seems to be the smartest. Hands down the most advanced I have ever seen any of My kids! His vocabulary is astounding. He's VERY Self Sufficient. His ability to read others and express himself is honestly amazing...
I contribute being the youngest, having so many others to learn from at home a major factor.

"It takes a village to raise a child" maybe has merit?

Master_Debater
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Being gifted has nothing to do with education. It's no debate that we need better education to help children reach their full potential.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Lots of American schools are awful. Unfortunately, lots of smart, even gifted children are stuck in those schools with no choice. Thus, their abilities are being wasted and not nurtured.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I know the feeling! My youngest son has learning issues but I don't talk about it a whole lot, for the same reason as you. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about it ( there is no reason to be),I just don't want to hear the judgement.

Quoting RiotousDigits:

I would if anyone cared.  If I posted here that my DD struggled with math, handwriting and attention issues, I'd get hammered with "what are YOU doing to help her" and "OMG, another mom with a speshul snowflake."

My kids struggle.  My oldest is starting 3rd grade and is beginning to struggle with the heavier workload.  My youngest has been in assorted therapies since she was 4 months old, started public school at 3 and is still 3 years delayed in language.

I talk about it freely, just not on CafeMom

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

US education sucks in general. And most moms aren't going to ever admit that their kid has any struggles.

Everything and everyone gets judged here don't let that stop you from asking for help. I prefer to see post about how many moms give each other advice on how to get their child to an ok level. Or what to do if a child needs some type of special therapy(some moms don't know what to do or where to find resources) Than seeing how a 4 year old read the word STOP and all of a sudden he is gifted. Or how an 18 month old said dadda and that made that child gifted. I have learned at lot from some moms offering ideas and tips to help a child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

I have 8 children. Our city is a choice school city meaning you can send them anywhere as long as they have space.

That said I've seen good and bad schools within the same district. .

I think it does not just depend on the schools!

BUT the Parents.

If you don't do more then send them off depending on a teacher then don't be surprised when they only come back average or less.

I also agree, specially moms of only children tend to talk up the kid..

I have 8 kids and out of My 8 kids I have 2 honor rollers and 1 My eldest DD just started HS with straight A's all honor/ college prep classes.

1 of Mine hangs by floss in terms of passing grades (least he did all last year..) social life was made priority.

3 of My others are happily Average.

My youngest isn't in school yet. He is only 3 but he seems to be the smartest. Hands down the most advanced I have ever seen any of My kids! His vocabulary is astounding. He's VERY Self Sufficient. His ability to read others and express himself is honestly amazing...
I contribute being the youngest, having so many others to learn from at home a major factor.

"It takes a village to raise a child" maybe has merit?

Is that you in the AVi? if so you are young to have 8 kids lol

LadyAmaranth
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Since the dawn of time there have been "pissing" contests amongst humans over many things....especially their kids abilities.

Nothing new...education is taking a hit, imho, because our educators needs to be better than other countries(aka a "pissing" contest) and that is screwing us up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN