Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So many gifted kids yet the US education its not doing that great. I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Not one day goes by that I don't see a post or comment about a child who is gifted. A child who is well above their peers, however I never see that same parent saying their kid excel in xyz or that her kid graduated at 18 from college. Im not sure if this is all mom's joy to have an intelligent child or what cause as far as I know the U.S is not doing that great in education compared to other countries. (no research done, this is what I have been hearing) DD is only 6 but from back in my high school days I can tell you I didn't learn much. I learned English because my cousin gave me classes, but I always felt like the school was really bad and not teaching enough. Now I see all these post about gifted kids and yet the education is doing so bad, so I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (71-73):
tossed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:16 AM

My son was identified as GT. He tested in the top 3-5% in 3 different subjects and was identified by the Duke Academic Talent Search. I did not enroll him in gifted classes due to his illnesses. He missed over 1/3 of high school due to illness, yet graduated on time with extra science courses such as pathophysiology, anatomy, medical microbiology. He also won the top scholarship awarded by the band program. He just graduated with his first degree in respiratory therapy and according to the director and another professor, they think he is the youngest student the program has ever graduated. Today, he started the prereqs for the career bridge program at UTMB-Galveston. He wants a BSRC and then either a PA or MD. He has accomplished all of this while being very ill at times, having multiple surgeries including MAJOR surgery, being homeless part of his senior year because we lost our home. So, some GT kids do really, really well. Sadly, school districts don't really offer many good options for gifted kids. The AP courses are not the answer. GT programs should focus on critical thinking skills. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My second son is considered "gifted" not the happy brag about it gifted. I think being proud of your child's achievements, and being part of the gifted program is great - I was in some when I was in school, but I am far from a genius. I just was fortunate that I happened to catch on to things quickly, and that's it. My son is so ahead in certain areas, and extremely developmentally delayed in most other areas. It's a disadvantage in so many ways because it is difficult to find anything that works for him. We've done programs in public school, private school, outside of school, and I homeschooled him as well in the past. Anyway I don't think the biggest problems with our schools have much of anything to do with the intelligence of children attending them.
tossed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:39 AM

I just want you both to know that there really is hope for kids who struggle. My older son is one of the smartest people I know. He is dyslexic, dysgraphic, ADD, and ld in math. He STRUGGLED with written work. He honestly could not figure out how to space letters or even write many of the letters. He had the same teacher for 1st and 2nd grade and she felt that my expectations were just too high for him. In front of him she said he would never be a good reader. 

We moved and the first thing the new teacher said was, "He is so bright, but have you ever thought that he might have a learning disability." The testing was delayed because he came down with a strange illness. I called a friend who taught special ed and asked how to teach a dyslexic to read. It was not her specialty, but she gave me some ideas. My son missed 3 months of school. I read to him constantly. I would do the character voices, so he loved for me to read to him. It helped him learn the flow of words. He went from a 2nd grade level in 3rd grade to a 10.6 grade level by 5th grade. He read everything he could get his hands on and had the 2nd highest number of AR points in the district.  He loved science. We studied anything in science which seemed to interest him. We watched the discovery channel, the history channel, etc.

At the end of 7th grade, the district gave a science placement test and he had the 5th highest score in the district out of 500 kids.....he placed ahead of all but 4 of the pre AP science kids. 

He LOVES music, but failed his first band class. He did not give up. I can't list all of his music awards and scholarships, but he ended up in the top high school band, choir, and orchestra. Music helps with discipline, organization, and math skills. 

He went to a really good high school. He ended up with college entrance exam scores that were higher than his school average, state average, and national average. 

He has completed 3 years of college. He is taking a break and deciding if he really wants or needs to finish. My answer is YES, but it is his decision.

I am proud of all that he has accomplished. When his reading scores as a high school sophomore came back as post doctoral level, he wanted me to let the teacher who believed in him in 3rd grade know.  I typed all of this out to let you know that those early struggles are tough, but you can work with the child and the teachers and have a great outcome. 

I had to be at school all of the time. He had so much trouble with writing that he could not write a simple math problem on paper because he just could not figure out the layout. So, his teacher and I developed a system where I would take his assignments and write them out for him. He was so disorganized (a part of dyslexia that many don't know) that he could leave home with his homework and not have it when he got to class. So, we put a folder on the asst. principal's office door. My son had to go directly to her office in the morning and put his homework folder in the folder on the door. She helped us get it to the right place. This way, EVERY day there was accountability. We did not have to do this forever, but it helped. There were teachers who were really cooperative and others who caused huge headaches. One of the problems we encountered is that he is really, really smart, but is ld. There were some teachers who did not think he should get the modifications that were established because he was smart. Learning disabilities and intelligence often go hand in hand.

Those first years were really, really hard. Don't give up. Once my son't brain figured out how to "see" letters, his reading took off. The writing remained a problem, but he actually made state standards in high school.  All of his struggles make that 1st division at the state music contest, Who's Who in American High Schools, and college scholarships all the sweeter.

Good luck!!!

Oh, and my child who started school with a phonological and articulation disorder and did not start talking until he was 4 earned his first college degree last week.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I know the feeling! My youngest son has learning issues but I don't talk about it a whole lot, for the same reason as you. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about it ( there is no reason to be),I just don't want to hear the judgement.

Quoting RiotousDigits:

I would if anyone cared.  If I posted here that my DD struggled with math, handwriting and attention issues, I'd get hammered with "what are YOU doing to help her" and "OMG, another mom with a speshul snowflake."

My kids struggle.  My oldest is starting 3rd grade and is beginning to struggle with the heavier workload.  My youngest has been in assorted therapies since she was 4 months old, started public school at 3 and is still 3 years delayed in language.

I talk about it freely, just not on CafeMom

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

US education sucks in general. And most moms aren't going to ever admit that their kid has any struggles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)