Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ER Worthy?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dd who is 9 was sent from school yesterday sick. She threw up. She said her stomach was hurting really bad and her head was pounding. She's home today still. Her lower back hurts, her lower abdomen hurts and her stomach hurts when she coughs. Her head is still pounding even after tylenol through out the night and this morning. Her eyes hurt. Moving them hurts. They also burn.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I'd give her lots of fluids and have her rest.  If it goes on for more than a few days, her fever spikes high, she's not herself, or you're genuinely worried then I'd take her in.  You left your other pediatrician without having another set up?  You could probably still call your old one if you want to talk to her just to get her opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
So you're going to make the hospital foot the bill for your ER visit which could easily top $1000 just to be seen?

Make a payment arrangement with a clinic. Hell go to Cvs minute clinic

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LAXmom21:

Take her to the pediatrician not the ER.

Cant right now. Just moved to a different state waiting for our insurance to come in which should be any day now. I dont have cash to pay a doctor.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Walk in clinic? I understand the waiting for insurance thing, but she could be exposed to a whole lot more in an ER germ wise than is worth sitting there for hours for a non emergent case. Good luck. Walk in clinic would be cheaper than an ER.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LAXmom21:

Cant right now. Just moved to a different state waiting for our insurance to come in which should be any day now. I dont have cash to pay a doctor.

ElitestJen
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LAXmom21:

I don't understand what "waiting for our insurance to come in" means?  Are you waiting for it to become effective?  Are you waiting on the cards?  Insurance doesn't "come in".  It's either in force or not.

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I'd just make an appointment with your doctor. I don't think it's ER worthy myself, but you know your kid.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM

ER is for threatened life or limb. 

In short, if she isn't dying or about to lose an arm or leg, you're all better off trying her pediatrician or an urgent care.

1.  It's probably viral and the only thing they can do is prescribe fever reducers and liquids
2.  Her fever HAS responded to Tylenol.  If her fever wouldnt' go down it'd be more concerning
3.  This is over regular clinic hours
4.  You're more likely to pick up a nastier illness or infection at the ER
5.  It sounds like she is able to keep some liquids down.  If she gets to a point where she can't, then she might need an IV. 

LadyVoldemort
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Let it ride out during the day. If she gets worse then go.
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

ER is for threatened life or limb. 

In short, if she isn't dying or about to lose an arm or leg, you're all better off trying her pediatrician or an urgent care.

1.  It's probably viral and the only thing they can do is prescribe fever reducers and liquids
2.  Her fever HAS responded to Tylenol.  If her fever wouldnt' go down it'd be more concerning
3.  This is over regular clinic hours
4.  You're more likely to pick up a nastier illness or infection at the ER
5.  It sounds like she is able to keep some liquids down.  If she gets to a point where she can't, then she might need an IV. 

4 is true, but also she is likely to pass her virus on to someone that has a life threatening condition.

OP, tylenol/motrin, fluids, rest. There isn't more you can do for her.

pregnant

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I am sure she is hurting all over from throwing up. Let her get some rest and see how she feels later on today. If no better, make her a doctors appointment. I dont think its ER worthy.
Mittenmommie
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Do you have an urgent care near by? Obviously if she needs medical attention and you can get her to a doctor, take her wherever you need to go.
Try and get her to drink water, she may be dehydrated which is why her head hurts. If she doesn't improve or gets worse, do what you have to do for your child's sake.

Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)