Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ER Worthy?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dd who is 9 was sent from school yesterday sick. She threw up. She said her stomach was hurting really bad and her head was pounding. She's home today still. Her lower back hurts, her lower abdomen hurts and her stomach hurts when she coughs. Her head is still pounding even after tylenol through out the night and this morning. Her eyes hurt. Moving them hurts. They also burn.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LAXmom21:

Take her to the pediatrician not the ER.

Cant right now. Just moved to a different state waiting for our insurance to come in which should be any day now. I dont have cash to pay a doctor.

Ok, important info to put in your original post....you will still need to present insurance cards at the ER, if you don't have insurance they could send you to a different hospital. if you are just waiting for cards to come in the mail then call the insurance company and ask for the card id numbers, dates in effect, and a call back number for doctor, ER and pharmacy. If it's not in effect yet, just let the doctor's office know that. Ask on the phone when making an appointment if you can make payment arrangements as you wont be able to pay the entire bill in full today but you could pay $20 and make payments on the balance. Going to a doctor or even a walk in clinic, is still going to be WAY cheaper than going to the ER. Normal ER visit is going to be $1000 at least. You'd be much better off finding a doctor who will take payments. Mine did when I didn't have insurance and it was no big deal. You may be at a disadvantage bc you moved recently, but I'm sure with a little leg work (which will save you more money in the long run) you could find someone. You could also try calling your old doctor who knows your child and they may be able to instruct you on a doctor who can help, or whether to go to a clinic or the ER. And btw some ER's do require payment of some part now if you don't have insurance. Not all but it is a new trend.  

Talienas
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Anytime I question my child's symptoms like that, I go with instinct. Not with internet advice. Hope she's better soon!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I may be way off base, but is it possible she could be getting her period? I know it sounds silly but the whole first year after my little sister started getting hers, she had these exact symptoms, starting a week before each period and last until the period was over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I may be way off base, but is it possible she could be getting her period? I know it sounds silly but the whole first year after my little sister started getting hers, she had these exact symptoms, starting a week before each period and last until the period was over.

No, she has an implant in her arm to stop puberty
hopeym23
by J3 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM

If I were you I would call the nurse line and see what they say.  I love the nurse line!

JemJerrica
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I would have to say that's not really ER worthy. What could they do for her? Not much. I doesn't really sound like an emergent situation, so I would just keep her home. Sounds like a virus or the flu. I know it's hard to see your dd in pain and not feeling well, but just make her comfortable and let the virus pass.

If it gets worse, just find an urgent care.
deenakate
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Call her dr. ER is way more expensive than paying for a dr visit.

Have you given Motrin too?
deenakate
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
What!? To stop puberty?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

No, she has an implant in her arm to stop puberty
kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM
A doctor will bill you. Mine has done it many times when I come in with an ear infection do bad I can barely stand because of being so dizzy, let alone sign paperwork and such. Lol

Sounds like the flu honestly and not ER worthy imho.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LAXmom21:

Take her to the pediatrician not the ER.

Cant right now. Just moved to a different state waiting for our insurance to come in which should be any day now. I dont have cash to pay a doctor.
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Fluids, tylenol, rest. Sounds like a summer cold to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured