Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I don't remember that bullying was such a big deal when I was younger. Either we didn't complain as much, or kids just weren't that bad. It just seems bullying has become such a huge thing now.

Do you think kids who are a bully learn it from home?
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Replies (21-30):
Party_of_Cinco
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM
What did you do to make her mad?

Quoting ELCloveofmylife:

Funny you post this today because yesterday was my daughters first day back at school and another kids mother was SO rude to me and my dh saying she was going to slap the shit out of me and everything. AND HER DAUGHTER WAS RIGHT THERE SMILING THE WHOLE TIME. I dont talk to people that way.. ESPECIALLY if my children are around. I completely think they learn it from home!!!

ELCloveofmylife
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I accidently stepped on her foot. And immediately apologized!

tracy0812
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this
He is 10. He has Autism, and is very much a rule follower. He is afraid to stand up for himself because he will get in trouble. The school refuses to let me see the video, and I sent them a copy of the FERPA law. Which pissed the principal off.

I, as a last resort, went to the school and told them I will be telling my son to punch this kid the next time he lays a hand on him. Principal told me I couldn't do that. That my child would get in trouble and be suspended. I told him to go ahead and do it, while he was suspended we would be going out for pizza and ice cream, going to the park, and the next time he would be contacted by my attorney.

Quoting Party_of_Cinco:

Wow! What has your son for about it? How old is he

Quoting tracy0812:

I remember bullies in school, but nothing like what they do now! A kid told my son he was getting his dads gun and killing our whole family, one kid down the street screams things up the street at out son, flips us all off, called me a bitch, threatened my son with a knife. I tried talking to his mother, she claims her son "would NEVER!!"

Party_of_Cinco
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Wow!!

Quoting ELCloveofmylife:

I accidently stepped on her foot. And immediately apologized!

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Good question. I think kids learn it from home life and other kids. It's natural to want to feel accepted and if the kids you want to be accepted by are expecting you to act like them, then they will conform. I saw it as a kid and I'm 30. But I never remember it being so bad. I was bullied and I was a bully. But never so bad that kids were ending their own life, hurting themselves, acting out, etc. I don't understand how kids are so damn mean now.

I also think that social media has something to do with it.

housewifehell
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I think its because parents today who aren't as "nice" and polite as people were back then. Today people just figure they can and should say anything because "its their right" Yeah sorry but I dont feel you should have a right to make someone else feel bad just because you feel bad about your situation. People dont take responsibility for their actions and no one is holding them accountable . So all these parents who just spout off over nothing or talk badly about others  with their kids right there are teaching their kids that its perfectly acceptable because mommy and daddy do it.  Its almost as if parents today forget they are the role models for the children and its as if they just dont care.

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I was bullied as a child.  By someone I considered a friend.  And I see my son as dealing with the same.  Kids can be cruel and my son forgives over and over.  Wish I had a backbone when I was younger.

Party_of_Cinco
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Wow! That's great that you tell him to defend himself. When

Quoting tracy0812:

He is 10. He has Autism, and is very much a rule follower. He is afraid to stand up for himself because he will get in trouble. The school refuses to let me see the video, and I sent them a copy of the FERPA law. Which pissed the principal off.

I, as a last resort, went to the school and told them I will be telling my son to punch this kid the next time he lays a hand on him. Principal told me I couldn't do that. That my child would get in trouble and be suspended. I told him to go ahead and do it, while he was suspended we would be going out for pizza and ice cream, going to the park, and the next time he would be contacted by my attorney.

Quoting Party_of_Cinco:

Wow! What has your son for about it? How old is he

Quoting tracy0812:

I remember bullies in school, but nothing like what they do now! A kid told my son he was getting his dads gun and killing our whole family, one kid down the street screams things up the street at out son, flips us all off, called me a bitch, threatened my son with a knife. I tried talking to his mother, she claims her son "would NEVER!!"

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
It wasn't an issue in my school because parents and school staff had real authority. Kids were afraid to BE bullies instead of being afraid OF bullies. The ones who tried to test the waters and bully someone got a paddle on their behinds and their victims weren't left to tolerate it indefinitely until the little punks finished "counseling".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I think we just didn't hear about it as much because we didn't have access to that kind of information. Bullying has been happening forever. Where they learn it from? Who knows. Maybe at home, maybe at school, maybe from their friends. It's likely different for everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)