Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I don't remember that bullying was such a big deal when I was younger. Either we didn't complain as much, or kids just weren't that bad. It just seems bullying has become such a huge thing now.

Do you think kids who are a bully learn it from home?
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Replies (31-40):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Go talk to the police.

Quoting tracy0812:

He is 10. He has Autism, and is very much a rule follower. He is afraid to stand up for himself because he will get in trouble. The school refuses to let me see the video, and I sent them a copy of the FERPA law. Which pissed the principal off.

I, as a last resort, went to the school and told them I will be telling my son to punch this kid the next time he lays a hand on him. Principal told me I couldn't do that. That my child would get in trouble and be suspended. I told him to go ahead and do it, while he was suspended we would be going out for pizza and ice cream, going to the park, and the next time he would be contacted by my attorney.

Quoting Party_of_Cinco:

Wow! What has your son for about it? How old is he

Quoting tracy0812:

I remember bullies in school, but nothing like what they do now! A kid told my son he was getting his dads gun and killing our whole family, one kid down the street screams things up the street at out son, flips us all off, called me a bitch, threatened my son with a knife. I tried talking to his mother, she claims her son "would NEVER!!"

luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

The word is overused, that's part of the problem.

There were bullies in my day, but kids learned to deal with it themselves. 

FireMoonGypsy
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Probably. 

Children are very "Monkey see, monkey do" if you know what I mean. If someone is pushing them around and flipping out on them all the time, that is how they are being taught to handle situations. 

"The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth" - Lao Tzu

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I was bullied in elementary and it was bad.

I can't imagine having to deal with social media on top of that.

elkmomma
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Some do and some have a crappy or abusive home life so they take it out on the weaker ones and some have mental disorders.  There's a wide range of reasons people bully.

tracy0812
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM
We have. There is a report on file with the gun incident, and I have spoken with the juvenile officer about the other boy. Not surprisingly, they are aware of him.

Sadly, our school district has been on some news programs because of bullying. They claim to have a No Tolerence policy, but things are swept under the rug. 2 years ago there was a 2nd grader who molested a kindergarten child in the boys bathroom. That was very quickly swept away. The school even tried to talk the parents into not involving the police.

They don't like me, I have a big mouth. If there is an issue, I am going to talk about it and they can't stand the fact that I know the laws regarding Spec. Ed laws, and know many advocates.

Quoting lnrmom:

Go talk to the police.

Quoting tracy0812:

He is 10. He has Autism, and is very much a rule follower. He is afraid to stand up for himself because he will get in trouble. The school refuses to let me see the video, and I sent them a copy of the FERPA law. Which pissed the principal off.

I, as a last resort, went to the school and told them I will be telling my son to punch this kid the next time he lays a hand on him. Principal told me I couldn't do that. That my child would get in trouble and be suspended. I told him to go ahead and do it, while he was suspended we would be going out for pizza and ice cream, going to the park, and the next time he would be contacted by my attorney.

Quoting Party_of_Cinco:

Quoting tracy0812:

I remember bullies in school, but nothing like what they do now! A kid told my son he was getting his dads gun and killing our whole family, one kid down the street screams things up the street at out son, flips us all off, called me a bitch, threatened my son with a knife. I tried talking to his mother, she claims her son "would NEVER!!"

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I'd be raising all kinds of holy  hell. I'd even look into suing parents if it doesn't stop.

Quoting tracy0812:

We have. There is a report on file with the gun incident, and I have spoken with the juvenile officer about the other boy. Not surprisingly, they are aware of him.

Sadly, our school district has been on some news programs because of bullying. They claim to have a No Tolerence policy, but things are swept under the rug. 2 years ago there was a 2nd grader who molested a kindergarten child in the boys bathroom. That was very quickly swept away. The school even tried to talk the parents into not involving the police.

They don't like me, I have a big mouth. If there is an issue, I am going to talk about it and they can't stand the fact that I know the laws regarding Spec. Ed laws, and know many advocates.

Quoting lnrmom:

Go talk to the police.

Quoting tracy0812:

Quoting Party_of_Cinco:

Quoting tracy0812:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Yeah, people used to let bullies get away with being jerks.  Today we recognize how detrimental that kind of behavior is.

Bullies have been around since Cain and Abel 

Bullies get jobs in politics.

.Milfshake.
by SoNastySoRude on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

The term is OVERused and MISused on a daily basis, which is why it seems like it's increased.  Too many helimommies cry bullying when their little snowflake isn't particulary liked.  Every childhood disagreement is NOT  bullying.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I always remember it being a big deal... probably because I was bullied.  There was just less done about it back then.

I think part of it is learned behavior from home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)