Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't remember that bullying was such a big deal when I was younger. Either we didn't complain as much, or kids just weren't that bad. It just seems bullying has become such a huge thing now.

Do you think kids who are a bully learn it from home?
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Replies (41-50):
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I was bullied too, too skinny, not the right clothes etc. my family would talk to the school etc, it would help temporarily. It was not easy.

Quoting Party_of_Cinco:

Yah I was bullied for being a chunky kid, and no one ever cared. Now kids are blowing shit up, committing suicide and turning into phycos

Quoting Derari:

That's true, years and years ago it was said to be apart of growing up. I don't remember teachers doing much about it either saly.

Quoting Punchyobuns:

I was bullied as a kid. It was considered normal and no one cared.

"I like that about the Republicans; the evidence does not faze them, they are not bothered at all by the facts"  PresidentWilliam J. Clinton

WesternNYmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

That was the attitude of the school staff when I was bullied in middle school and high school. My guidence counceler even told me that i must have done something to deserve what the girls who were tormenting me were doing.  Eventually, I stopped going to see her and just took the abuse. I couldn't wait for graduation just so I could get out of that hellhole. The sad part is that alot of people seem to have the attitude that bullying is just a part of growning up and that kids and parents who try to put a stop to it are whiners.  It makes me sick that people still think this behavior is acceptable.

Quoting Punchyobuns:

I was bullied as a kid. It was considered normal and no one cared.

hisemma
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

It's like autism & CHD's & ADD/ADHD... there's more awareness now, and people are speaking out more now and dealing with the problem instead of shoving it in a closet.

tracy0812
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
There is more awareness. I also think bullying isn't the same as it use to be. I graduated 23 years ago, so things have changed. Now the bullies are physical. It use to be name calling, maybe a child was beat up once. Now, the physical aspect is a daily thing. Now the name calling is not just " your a jerk". Even some of the parents get in on the bullying. One boy threw my son on the floor of the bus and was chocking him, the driver got off of the bus and went and got the principal. Never said a word. My kid was kicked off the bus for "provoking". When I asked what he did to provoke, I was told he sat in the wrong seat. So the schools are protecting the bullies.

Quoting hisemma:

It's like autism & CHD's & ADD/ADHD... there's more awareness now, and people are speaking out more now and dealing with the problem instead of shoving it in a closet.

hisemma
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Quoting tracy0812:

There is more awareness. I also think bullying isn't the same as it use to be. I graduated 23 years ago, so things have changed. Now the bullies are physical. It use to be name calling, maybe a child was beat up once. Now, the physical aspect is a daily thing. Now the name calling is not just " your a jerk". Even some of the parents get in on the bullying. One boy threw my son on the floor of the bus and was chocking him, the driver got off of the bus and went and got the principal. Never said a word. My kid was kicked off the bus for "provoking". When I asked what he did to provoke, I was told he sat in the wrong seat. So the schools are protecting the bullies.

Quoting hisemma:

Not all schools protect bullies. My kids' school has a zero tolerance policy. They've had some issues on the bus, & their principal took care of it right away. & I think the only thing that's changed--aside from awareness--is the social media aspect. I know kids who were bullied mercilessly, beat up, etc, 20-something years ago.
alf2651
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM

More than likely.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh we jumped the neighborhood bully. Me and 6 others, we were little kids,but she never messed with any of us again after that.

TeamTARDIS
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Well now it is considered bullying if a child isn't liked by everyone.
It is also considered bullying to tell someone you don't like them.
When I was a kid, being bullied meant getting your butt kicked by someone bigger and stronger than you, not being told you are annoying and to go away.
Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Maby from all the suicides and school shootings it's become a big deal.
sarah824
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I have two thoughts on this....

First, I think we, as a society, are raising kids to not know how to deal with "normal" kids stuff. Nowadays everything that "bothers" a kid is called bullying. When I was a kid we were taught to suck it up and move on or stand up to the kid that was picking on us. That isn't the case anymore. I am not saying that bullying doesn't happen, but I think too many people cry "bully" over normal kid behavior these days.

Second, with all of the social media out there today bullying as taken on a new shape. Kids cannot escape the bully by just going home at the end of the day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured