Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To those who say 'AC' is a want and not a need......

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 180 Replies
3 moms liked this

It's over 100 in Chicagoland today and they are closing the few schools that have no AC. It's BRUTAL for these kids, they can't even breathe (and there's an ozone action day so you're not supposed to breathe anyway, FML) People can die from heat just as easy as they can from cold.

*EDIT* Whoa! So many replies! To all of the people asking how often it gets this hot here, probably about ten days a year, sometimes more sometimes less. The last big heatwave was 1995 and 750 people died.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I know people survived without it for years but they didn't go to school in August either lol. When you have a way of life without it, there are things you do or don't do to live around the heat. We are so used to having AC that we aren't used to doing that anymore and then wonder why we can't stand the heat.
Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

But how often does it reach those temps in Chicago?  It's rare.  I live in upstate NY, and yes, we occasionally have balls hot dangerous heat waves, but we've somehow managed to survive living here the majority of my life with no A/C.  

I will stand by my belief that A/C is not a necessity in the northern part of the country.

Superlaura328
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

LOL Agreed. I live in Dallas, TX... when the heat index is 104 degrees, AC is indeed a neccesity, lol.

emmy526
by Felion on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

wow..closing schools due to heat?  well, better safe than sorry...send some heat to the EAST coast

missmamaof4
by Miss Mary on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM

*sighh* i miss chicago:(

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM
8 moms liked this

Uh huh and yet millions survive all over the world in extremes far worse than that with no heat or ac......it's called adaptation.  We've made ourselves frail and heat/cold sensitive!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

it should NOT matter HOW often it happens..the fact when it does can cause illness to those without airconditioning, is bad enough...one day of no ac can cause heatstroke in some people, or dehydration in seniors

Quoting Greenstone920:

But how often does it reach those temps in Chicago?  It's rare.  I live in upstate NY, and yes, we occasionally have balls hot dangerous heat waves, but we've somehow managed to survive living here the majority of my life with no A/C.  

I will stand by my belief that A/C is not a necessity in the northern part of the country.

liveforever
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quoting Greenstone920:

Totally off topic but I lol'd at "balls hot"...I always told my dh he was the only one who ever said that.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM
It's a need in my house. I hate being hot.
SageAdvice
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM

It's not a necessity, one can live without it,  people adapt and learn how to not get over heated . . .  humans have been doing it for thousands of years. ( even ones with asthma )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured