Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I wish the income based apartments would be burned to the ground and rebuilt on the east side of town where they belong

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
2 moms liked this

Yep. I said it. I have never been a poor people basher, but a small income based apartment complex was built on the other side of our neighborhood a couple years ago and the riff raff that moved in brought their low life ways with them. We chose this area specifically because it was comprised of older retired couples and families with children. The lawns are all kept up (the kind of neighborhood where all the men are out mowing at the same time every Saturday morning), women walk / jog together, the family dogs are walked every morning and evening, there are frequent bbq's, and the neighbors watch out for each other. It's one of the older and desired neighborhoods. When we moved in, there were two apartment complexes side by side but that was further down the main road, outside of the actual neighborhoods and they weren't a problem. We actually, never even saw anyone from them. Then, two miserable things happened. First, the income based apartments were built on the opposite side of our neighborhood from the other apartments and they're right on the edge of our neighborhood. Second, the Sheetz gas station was built. It's a ways down the main road, but it attracts the apartment people. Now, the people from the apartment complexes are constantly roaming our neighborhood, going back and forth between the complexes and to Sheetz. They cut through people's yards and even through their flower beds and gardens. They have had to be run off from people's driveways for playing with their basketball goals that they have for their kids. They have to be run off for getting in people's pools. They let their kids roam the neighborhood and help themselves to our kids' outside toys. Their kids taunt our dogs that we have in our yards. While my husband was out doing yardwork  and washing the car this past Saturday, a guy came up to him twice telling him that he just got out of jail and wanted to do the yardwork and car washing for him to make some money. Dh finally told him to not come back to our house. Normally, I keep the front door opened so the sunlight can come in through the storm door, but dh told me to keep it closed in case he was just looking around the house to see what we had. Ugghh. I stopped walking in the evenings for exercise because of the low lifes yelling at me and trying to pick me up. Our front yard is the most accomodating for our kids to play in, but I have to restrict them to the back yard because the apartment people yell at me when I'm out front watching my kids play. They throw their trash in people's yards.  They're trashy. I don't trust them. There's a side of town that's comprised entirely of their type and they'd blend in there. Why do they want to be here anyway???? They're so out of place. Why do they have to cut through our lovely neighborhood all the time and be disruptive and trashy?

I know this isn't popular to say, but it's wrong for people who work hard to keep the neighborhood family-friendly and nice looking have to deal with this.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM
7 moms liked this

Although I completely disagree with how you've worded this post (particularly the part about the apartments just burning to the ground) I have to admit that it would piss me off as well if anyone (regardless of whether they're low income or not) was throwing trash in our yard, taunting our dogs, wandering through our neighborhood, etc.

I don't blame you for being upset.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Meh, you will prob get bashed, but I see your point. Im sorry.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM

We have the same problem not far from here......seriously they could drop a bomb on this one development and no one would care because of how bad the people from it are!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
5 moms liked this

Well, I wouldn't want anyone in them when they burn down. Does that help?

Quoting KaylinC03:

Although I completely disagree with how you've worded this post (particularly the part about the apartments just burning to the ground) I have to admit that it would piss me off as well if anyone (regardless of whether they're low income or not) was throwing trash in our yard, taunting our dogs, wandering through our neighborhood, etc.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
4 moms liked this
I came to this post, fully expecting to think you're a bitch for saying something like this. However, I agree with you. We have a very quiet neighborhood & that would piss me off, too. Can you talk to the town/city or the owner of the housing?
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
6 moms liked this
That's why the value of surrounding properties goes down dramatically when low income housing is built. People will probably be mad at for me for saying so, but it's the truth, regardless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missmamaof4
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Bet you are glad that glitch is flixed!

ETA: read your whole post, I agree

baby growth

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM

My husband and I purchased all the lots around our subdivision.  We are not sure what we are going to do with them as they are zoned for apartments. We are trying to get them rezoned for single family homes and then we can build high end homes and keep our neighborhood the way it is.  I have lived in an environment like you and it sucks. 

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM

While I think the wording of your post is off, as I do not wish anyone's home to be destroyed, I do understand your frustration. Perhaps you can get together with the other members of your neighborhood and set up a neighborhood watch group or collectively chip in for security.

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, that's better, lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I wouldn't want anyone in them when they burn down. Does that help?

Quoting KaylinC03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)