Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter's classroom is peanut/tree nut free.

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 101 Replies
5 moms liked this
I don't understand why people get so upset about this? So your kid can't have peanut butter at school. Let them have it as a snack when they get home of they absolutely will die without it.

My daughter doesn't feel like she's being "punished" because I explained to her that someone in her class can get very sick if they are around any kind of nuts. At 5 years old she understands. She asked if I could just send her with jelly or something else.

I think a lot of people get angry ONLY for the fact that they've been told they can't have something. So now they want it more. Get over yourselves people.

Vent over.
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM
6 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I really don't understand why parents get so upset about no peanuts in school. Peanuts aren't in that many foods. It's not like a wheat ban, or flour, or something that's found in almost everything that really makes packing lunches difficult.

Pack a different kind of sandwich other than PB&J, replace candy with some other treat and your child can eat PB&J after school. I just don't get why people are so fired up. 

karmakarma
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Wah. I appreciate feeding my children whatever they want (within my own reason) I don't let other people dictate my life. I'd say it's the allergic children that are few and far between, and we wouldn't want anything like that stopping them from school huh? It's bullshit. Send them to a special nut free school. Keep them home for lunch. I don't care but if I am in that situation it won't be me that one who is backing down and taking something from my children. I'm not being punished for other peoples abnormalities.

mamav2215
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

i agree. i don't like schools banning it when there's no documented allergic children or teachers. but my god this is a very bad allergy and it usually progressively gets worse. don't make your kid so entitled. 

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Exactly!

Quoting KaylinC03:

I really don't understand why parents get so upset about no peanuts in school. Peanuts aren't in that many foods. It's not like a wheat ban, or flour, or something that's found in almost everything that really makes packing lunches difficult.

Pack a different kind of sandwich other than PB&J, replace candy with some other treat and your child can eat PB&J after school. I just don't get why people are so fired up. 

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Lol

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Mobile Photo

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
4 moms liked this

That's nice, I sent my son to school today with his PB&J because his school is competent enough to manage the allergies.....

mamav2215
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

i didn't realize that your child not eating peanuts in school was a punishment for YOU. 

Quoting karmakarma:

Wah. I appreciate feeding my children whatever they want (within my own reason) I don't let other people dictate my life. I'd say it's the allergic children that are few and far between, and we wouldn't want anything like that stopping them from school huh? It's bullshit. Send them to a special nut free school. Keep them home for lunch. I don't care but if I am in that situation it won't be me that one who is backing down and taking something from my children. I'm not being punished for other peoples abnormalities.

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
So basically punish the child with an allergy they can't control?

That's absurd.

Quoting karmakarma:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I don't agree with peanut bans on the high school level. 

I'm not upset about it, but I think it creates a false sense of security for those kids. Workplaces, colleges, gov't buildings and restaurants will not go peanut free for these kids. We have to start teaching them to ask questions about the food they're served, stay away from questionable food and learn how to carry their epi pens. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)