Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

diabetic question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

my dh got diagnosed two years ago. he took meds for a month then nothing

he was going to take part in a diabetes research study but his a1c needed to be under 10. his 10.8

he had protein in his urine when he was first diagnosed

he has made some changes. no sugar ice tea, cut back on sweets, a little better with meals, and pepsi max

how long does he have until he starts suffering complications?

*no bashing. i have tried several times for him to get on his medication. he claims we dont have the money but yet has a 100$ cell bill* i cant make him or force him to take medications

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM

BUMP!

Meglet1970
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM

If he doesn't want to take meds then tell him he needs to be very strict with his diet.  NO Processed foods.  My father controls his diabetes with out meds, but he even grinds his own grain to make flour.  He is very careful about what he eats. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM

he does better but again i cant control what he eats or what he wants me to pack him for overnights *he works overnights* he does not exercise either

Quoting Meglet1970:

If he doesn't want to take meds then tell him he needs to be very strict with his diet.  NO Processed foods.  My father controls his diabetes with out meds, but he even grinds his own grain to make flour.  He is very careful about what he eats. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I am type 2.  It all really depends.  Most likely years.  I have some brain damage from it though and I got that in less than 5 yrs. Everyone is different.  With diabetes, watching your carbs is what you need to do, not so much the sugar thing.  His A1c is very high.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM
I have no idea. Im a type one. I was diagnosed in September 2011. I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time, and at that point my A1C was at 13. My last A1C came back as 8, that blood work also showed signs of DKA and I was hospitalised in the ICU for 3 days. I had blood drawn yesterday for another A1C and haven't gotten the results yet, my doctor thinks it will be around 7.

His ass needs to be on meds. I cannot stress that enough. What he's doing is dangerous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM

i am sure from the way he ate before he went undiagnosed for years

his dad has it also and suffers so many complications. so far he gets soft during sex and he has a hard time finishing

i know his a1c is really high

Quoting Anonymous:

I am type 2.  It all really depends.  Most likely years.  I have some brain damage from it though and I got that in less than 5 yrs. Everyone is different.  With diabetes, watching your carbs is what you need to do, not so much the sugar thing.  His A1c is very high.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM

we have fought on that. i cant force him

i know it is dangerous and if he gets worse and my children starts to suffer i will leave

it sounds bad i know but i have to protect them also

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no idea. Im a type one. I was diagnosed in September 2011. I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time, and at that point my A1C was at 13. My last A1C came back as 8, that blood work also showed signs of DKA and I was hospitalised in the ICU for 3 days. I had blood drawn yesterday for another A1C and haven't gotten the results yet, my doctor thinks it will be around 7.

His ass needs to be on meds. I cannot stress that enough. What he's doing is dangerous.

plumbobtoggle
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

How soon he gets complications depends on more factors than his A1C, like his weight, his blood pressure, his stress level, how much he exercises, etc. But it's possible RIGHT NOW for him to suddenly slip into a coma. Blood sugar can suddenly spike if he were to catch a cold, and he's much more succeptable to bacterial infections. A simple cut or sinus infection can lead to blood poisoning. I almost lost a foot once just because I stepped on a toothpick!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Complications can hit at any time, there is no specific timeline. I just buried my mother this past June because of complications from her diabetes (strokes, kidney failture, blindness, nerve damage, and more - she was on oxygen, dialysis, and a feeding tube at the end) and it happened really fast. She had her first stroke 4 years ago and it was all downhill from there.

Your DH needs to start taking his disease seriously. He needs to eat right (skip the "diet" crap & just eat healthier - the less stress on his body, the better), exercise, and, if needed, take his medications.

My brother was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago and he didn't take it seriously at first either, not until our mom got really sick from hers. I, on the other hand, never want to be in the position where I have to make that decision, so I eat right, exercise daily, have reduced my weight, and basically am doing everything in my power to make sure I never, ever, ever, ever end up with diabetes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM

his weight is 330 and he does not exercise at all

i wish i can scare him into taking his medications. he thinks he is fine because he fells no complications

i fear it would take him almost dying or getting sick bad for him to change

Quoting plumbobtoggle:

How soon he gets complications depends on more factors than his A1C, like his weight, his blood pressure, his stress level, how much he exercises, etc. But it's possible RIGHT NOW for him to suddenly slip into a coma. Blood sugar can suddenly spike if he were to catch a cold, and he's much more succeptable to bacterial infections. A simple cut or sinus infection can lead to blood poisoning. I almost lost a foot once just because I stepped on a toothpick!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)