Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if your kid was a bully? *Update pg 4*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My kid is way too young for me to worry about that (2 y.o.), but my cousin's son (9 y.o.) is this close to being the family bully.

He is disrespectful to grown ups and mean to other kids, hitting and calling them names.

She came to me for help and I'm at a loss. Anyone has some advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
SimplySteph88
by Stephanie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Counseling, maybe join a church group (positive influences)

and maybe some more one on one family time to help the child deal with any anger he may be harboring.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Beat his butt
My kid * he was five at the time * laughed at a kids wrong answer
He got a spanking when he got home
KRIZZ25
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM
MY DD WAS BULLED ON THE BUS FEW YEARS AGO .THAY SAYED THY WOULD KILL HER .I WENT OFF .CALLED THE SCHOOL,BUS DRIVER,TEACHER.BY END OF THE DAY THE BOYS WERE IN THE PRINCIPLES OFFICE CRYING.

U NEEDS TO TALK TO HIS PARENTS AND HAVE THEM STOP IT ..OR PUT UR FOOT DOWN AND SAYING SOMETHING TO HIM..
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Im not above the sandwich board sign idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM

If he was my kid, he'd be shamed so hard he'd want a spot on that one-way trip to Mars. lol

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Im not above the sandwich board sign idea.

HaileysMom07180
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

i agree to this 100%, we had a bully that lived in our neighborhood, dd even got punched in the eye.  the parents found out he has some stuff going on, i don't know exactly but since he's been seeing an occupational therapist and undergoing a coupole of other social programs, he's been tons better.  he plays with dd outside and will occasionally knock on the door to tell us he's going home to take a "break".  he has a couple moments, but is thousands times better now.

Quoting 4Poodle:

I'd take him to an occupational therapist.
I also think bully is the wrong term here, he's definitely overly aggressive, which can be caused by several things. It's not ok, but it might be less thought-out and more of an external response to something no one else sees.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

What are her parenting techniques?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Kick their ass in.
IQuitCounting
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

My nephew is becoming a bully, but less of the full out physical stuf so much as the manipulative using the younger kids kind.  I hate it.  Unfortunately my SIL doesn't see it and my brother has never asked me for help.

She needs to give him a consequence for his actions that outweighs what he gets from the behavior.  She also needs to teach him empathy.  Kids are born living in an egocentric world, they have to be taught to look outside themselves.  It works better when you start young... but I guess it's never too late to start.  She needs to create in him an ability to see things from the other childrens perspective, and in turn a desire to do right by them.  Also, he needs to be shown that being the bully will not make him happy, it will not make him friends, and make sure the other kids, the ones he's bullying, know this.  They need to be allowed to disclude him from play if he chooses to act in a way that is mean.

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Talking to him, therapy, or a good old fashioned ass whopping which sounds long over due.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured