Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mothers of special needs children, I need some advice.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
I don't think I handled 2 situations at the park very well today. I am not sure what I could have done to make it better.

DS is a very loving but very spastic child. He just has tons of energy and can be a bit of a wild child. When we first got to the park today there were no other kids. After about 10 minutes a little boy walked into the area and DS went running straight for him and before I could catch up to him barreled into the kid to give him a hug. The kid flipped out. As soon as I saw it I was pretty sure he was autistic because my friends autistic kid had a very similar type of meltdown. I felt horrible about. The father came up and gave me this evil glare and tried to calm him. I wanted to apologize but was embarrassed about the situation so I decided to take DS for a hike in the woods.

Awhile later we are walking along the trail and a family is walking towards us. I notice the little boy in front has down syndrome and of course my son starts to take off again. Well I certainly did not want to ruin another parents day so I grabbed up DS and I get the evil glare again.

I seriously felt like I couldn't do anything right so could you tell me how to handle these situations in a better manner.

P.S. DS is almost 2 and earlier in the day we were hanging out with my cousin who also is special needs and we have never had a problem but he is an adult and I grew up with him so I know that he can handle DS.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChunkyMonkey25
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM
You need to start teaching your son boundaries.
LadyAmaranth
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM
4 moms liked this

Honestly, I think you did what you could.

Stuff happens that we can't get control of immediately. Ugly stares from them were unnecessary...you have a small toddler who is loving and curious. They just needed to see that and chill.

You did what you could...

You got your child and moved away from the situation.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

He is old enough to start teaching boundaries, but IMO the other parents should also be understanding of typical toddler behavior. My nephew is two and hugs everyone right now. Adults, only those he knows well, but any kid he comes across is a potential friend and huggable. 

Next time just calmly explain that he wants to be friends and then remind him again of the boundaries.. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
He isn't even two yet. He wanted to give him a hug. I am working on it but I don't have a magic wand that suddenly makes him understand social norms.

Quoting ChunkyMonkey25:

elkmomma
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

SIGH  Sometimes we just can't win.  Next time just let whom ever know that your sorry he just got away from you or that you didn't want him to accidentally hurt the other kid.  Most parents of SN kids will understand since most of us have been there.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Almost 2 yr olds need boundaries.   When my 13 month old pushed another little toddler at the zoo, I picked him up and told him no pushing and removed him from the situation.  

elkmomma
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Please expand on how to do this without knowing what his SNs or abilities are?

Quoting ChunkyMonkey25:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Normally I get to him before he tackles other kids and I talk to him and walk him through it but he just kind of got away from me. I would have talked to him about it afterwards but I felt like it was best if we walked away. The father was really peeved.

I love his high spiritedness but haven't quite figured out how to reign it in yet.

Quoting sheramom4:

He is old enough to start teaching boundaries, but IMO the other parents should also be understanding of typical toddler behavior. My nephew is two and hugs everyone right now. Adults, only those he knows well, but any kid he comes across is a potential friend and huggable. 

Next time just calmly explain that he wants to be friends and then remind him again of the boundaries.. 

quinnsmom715
by Donna on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

this is a good time to teach your son we dont touch others without their permission..stop making excuses saying he 'just has tons of energy' what you are really saying is you have no control over your child and see nothing wrong with him putting his hands on other kids.quite frankly,youre lucky the autistic kid didnt give him a black eye..

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

This...and repeat to yourself "Most likely I will never see these people again, I will never see these people again"...it helps to keep the embarrassment down.

Quoting elkmomma:

SIGH  Sometimes we just can't win.  Next time just let whom ever know that your sorry he just got away from you or that you didn't want him to accidentally hurt the other kid.  Most parents of SN kids will understand since most of us have been there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)