Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I can't stand my nephew's eating! I sent him to bed with no dinner.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 162 Replies

My sister has recently fallen on some tough times and I'm helping her out by watching her son from 2:30, when he's off school, to about 10:00pm. Part of this is feeding him dinner. He's 6.

Well, he's the worst eater I have ever encountered. He was raised only eating junk: chicken fingers, pizza, burgers, fries, mac and cheese etc. If it seems junky and fast food like, he'll eat it, but he won't even touch a healthier version of any of them. My kids have been raised to eat what is served and constantly trying different types of foods. I have always cooked fresh and healthy homemade food.

My nephew simply refuses to eat when I make. Tonight, we had grilled chicken, roasted potatoes and a big garden salad. He wouldn't even take a bite. After 2 weeks of this battling, I told him to make himself something. He said he didn't know how to make anything he wanted, and he didn't want cereal or a PBJ, which is all I was offering.

I sent him to the spare bedroom with nothing. His mother can feed him when she gets off work, but this is ridiculous. 

Any advice? I'm at my wits end here. 

Update: It has really not improved. He's either had cereal, a PBJ, soup (that he prepared himself) or has not eaten until my sister picked him up almost every night. Anytime I have tried to incorporate a healthy version of something he likes, he refuses and/or has a fit because "it's not right!".

My sister can't afford to send him dinner every night, but seems irritated that I won't prepare him a second, separate meal and buy him junk food with my money. Absolutely ridiculous. I would be ashamed to have brought up my kids to eat and act like this. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Well it's your sisters fault for feeding him that way just tell her to make sure he has his own food for your house...you cant change a bad habit that's started years ago over night...poor fella
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM
8 moms liked this

I agree with you.  If a kid is hungry enough he will eat.  Stick to your guns here. 

meaganmac
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM
4 moms liked this
I make one meal. Take it or leave it, that's what you get.
villagemamma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Wish i had better advice. its hard when you are not the parent. i cant stand a picky eater.

Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know how you could have done anything else. It's not like you refused him food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommadana
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I know kids like that. My nephew was that way. The more he was around other kids, the more he tried new things. I always tried to make at least one thing he liked but made him try everything and if he still hatred it, at least he tried it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I wouldn't send him hungry... yes, you offered food but not like one night will change him. 

Do you think any of his not trying anything has something to do with your sister is on hard times? Maybe he's struggling internally with some things. Being hard on him when he seems to need taking to and love doesn't sound right. 

now if it were my kid and he refused to eat then yes, he would be sent to the room.. but not my kid I couldn't/wouldn't do it personally 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM
My niece was like that for a long time. Her dad was ok with her eating nothing but junk. Every time she was at our house she would cry cuz she didnt want to eat what I made. She learned real quick that she eats what I fix or she doesn't eat. She ended up getting sick and having to go to the ER because all the unhealthily eating she was doing at her dads caused her to be so constipated she was in a lot of pain. It took the ER doctor and my husband and I to convince my nieces dad to feed her better. Now my niece loves to eat at my house and try new foods. Good luck.
kaybayblee3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Personally I wouldn't have put up with that crap. As my mom always told us growing up: You eat what I make you or you don't eat at all. I don't want you in the kitchen later on tonight either!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM
He's not your kid you're watching him for her get over it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN