Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How exactly is this supposed to work??? UPDATE..... UPDATE 2

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 255 Replies
13 moms liked this
So, dd is in 4 th grade. She isn't allowed to bring her math book home because her teacher doesn't allow books to leave the classroom.

I just wrote him an e-mail saying that dd will NOT be completing homework until he tells me HOW TO DO IT!!

Ok so I was more polite, but here's the concept. There are 6 people in my home. Dss is a junior and in AP Algebra 2 (not sure what makes it AP, I'm pretty math useless). Ods is in 7 th grade in advanced math. Me, well I'm the math dummy. Dh is well versed because he uses it for work. Then yds who is only in 2 nd.

I asked all if the ones that "get" math if they knew what this was and I'm hoping the teacher tells me tomorrow, but you ladies are awesome so I figured maybe you wouldn't be so lost since none of us have heard of this.

89x45

She has to solve using the "partial product method", the "distributive method" and the "box method".

In the e-mail I specified that due to the way the question was asked it appeared that he was more interested in the methodology than the answer and since I have NO CLUE, that I felt I couldn't help her.

Oh and before anyone asks, she has an IEP, she is SN, and I am sure they went over it, but for her it takes 3 times longer to "catch" new concepts, so by the time she came home, she had no clue.

UPDATE

So thanks to the "hive mind" of CM, dss now knows what the teacher wants. YAY!!!

I will also be requesting changes to dd's IEP to prevent this from happening in the future. Her coordinator worried about this because of the jump in the volume of material, daily, that they take in in 4th compared to 3rd. Apparently its a much faster pace.

You know, one more thing, for as bad as it can get here in some posts, this post has made me realize that most everyone here is a good person who wants to help others out. Thank you for that.

UPDATE 2

So, the teacher responded and said that he will make sure that Dd brings home a copy of his notes so that we can figure out what she is doing. He said he is going to review her IEP to make sure he is abiding by it and any further help we need, he is more than happy to provide in order to make her successful.

He seems like a good guy and wants to help. I do think I'm still going to request adjustments to her IEP to make sure we can his avoid further problems.

This one comment keeps coming up that I addressed in a post but not up here so let me explain.

Dd reads and writes at a beginning 2nd grade level, which was the original concern for the IEP. she is dyslexic, has issues with abstract reasoning, pragmatic language, and has sensory issues and delays in fine motor skills, she also has trouble with receptive language and is in speech therapy. With all these issues, her education is effected in every subject. I mention this because the first thought is "why doesn't she take notes". She really can't, and when she tries, they are illegible and usually incorrect.

It was also asked why she is in a regular classroom and that just goes back to the requirement for the "least restrictive setting" issue. I'm starting to doubt whether that is a good policy based on her abilities.
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM
6 moms liked this
Not allowing books home? Is that her policy or a school policy? I'd talk to the principal bc that seems crazy
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM
2 moms liked this

She should have the days notes on how to do the problems. Wait, dothey even take notes anymore??

petie1104
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Well it can't be school policy because ods is allowed to bring his book home. So it must be teacher policy.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Not allowing books home? Is that her policy or a school policy? I'd talk to the principal bc that seems crazy

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM
12 moms liked this
Google is your friend.
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Yea if she doesn't give then if take it up with the principal

Quoting petie1104:

Well it can't be school policy because ods is allowed to bring his book home. So it must be teacher policy.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

britmichele
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I am not looking forward to this....
Sorry I can't help, here's a bump
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM
8 moms liked this

you need to have it written into her IEP that either books come home or she has a set to keep at home (that you will be responsible for should the be lost/damaged/etc)

petie1104
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
That's another part of her IEP. She is severely dyslexic and can't read or write above a 2nd grade level. Notes are extremely difficult for her to take down and illegible once she has them. So for the most part, she doesn't bother. I asked her where her notes were an her response, "they don't make sense so I threw them out at school".

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

She should have the days notes on how to do the problems. Wait, dothey even take notes anymore??

New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM
9 moms liked this
She shouldnt have to research it. The child has a book that tells them How to do it. Most homes have Internet but what if theirs didnt?

Yes I'm aware they gave it due to OP on cm but what if they didnt. The school Supplies books for a reason.

Quoting Anonymous:

Google is your friend.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM
7 moms liked this

HAHAHAHA..... I dont understand math at all. I would rather beat myself with a hammer. I have had people try to explain it to me a 100 different ways and still dont get it. I actually threw a book across the room in 10th grade once.

Good luck to you and your DD. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)