Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does verbal abuse help autism?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:54 AM
  • 29 Replies

I have been doing some research on Autism for several articles (I'm a content writer for health and natural healing sites). I have been around children with Autism, my nephew is on the spectrum. I have seen him have meltdowns, freak out, scream, yell, stay calm, "check out", and everything inbetween. Tonight while doing research I came across this video. I was shocked at first then I was pissed. 

I don't see a concerned parent here. I don't see a parent trying to help. I see a parent flipping on a camera and making a spectacle out of his son. Using his son to make some sort of "Autism is hard" point. Which yes, it is, but what he does is over the top. He lets the child have something he knows he is about to take away AND he knows and tells the viewer that the child is going to freak out. He even says "he doesn't fully understand why I'm going to take this away." He uses the child for his point, talks about the child as if the child is not in the room, continues to talk to the viewer as if the son isn't there, and uses some clinically sounding terms like "what you'll see here," and "what you are about to see is..."  It's disgusting. So, explain to me, how the hell is verbal abuse, using your child as some sort of poster child for your point, and recording him like he is a side show freak for your pleasure supposed to help or show love to your child???? 

I'm just shocked that anyone would think this video is okay, yet people are all on the parents side. No one seems to  notice the verbal abuse and emotional abuse he is inflicting on the child during the video. You want to tell me how bad it is and how hard it is...fine...tell me all day. Do it in a private video. Don't act like your kid isn't there while you treat him like a side show for Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e68fIN39pY 

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:06 AM

fucking sick...:( that poor baby. I hope CPS gets wind of this! 

humanisticmom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:12 AM

I understand his point. It's hardn raising with and dealing with a child with Autism, or any illness for that matter. But there were MUCH better ways to go about it. I mean, do a private blog for f*ck sakes! It just seemed like while watching it, I was stuck in some weird science project from the Victorian era. The ones that start off with the doctor saying "the subject will appear to be..." and it just gets worse from there. This was sick to me on so many levels. The boy is a child. Yeah, he thinks differently but damnit he still can hear and feel. He comprehends what you are saying about him. The worst part is when his sister walks in in the background and looks horrified and scared then just leaves the room without the dad really saying anything. It was so sick.  

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:17 AM

For anybody who has a few minutes and hasn't already viewed it. Worth the watch. (Different video from OPs)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:41 AM

bump

humanisticmom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:58 AM

bump

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM

You know, i went and posted on the youtube video. and he replied back, claiming this was applied ABA. 

well im sorry...i call BS. 

humanisticmom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM

BUMP!

humanisticmom
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I posted as well and saw what I think was your post JP. He is trying to say it is ABA, but he is doing it all wrong. He is abusive in his methods. If you check out (which I'm sure you already know this) the Autism Speaks page, it clearly states what ABA therapy is and how it is done. He is missing the mark over and over again. http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/treatment/applied-behavior-analysis-aba

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
That was you that commented? Lol. Yeah, he's full of shit. DS just had ABA earlier today (as he has every week, 4 times a week). What this father did is most definitely NOT ABA.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

You know, i went and posted on the youtube video. and he replied back, claiming this was applied ABA. 

well im sorry...i call BS. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Pavlovian behavior modification?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured