Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He forgot dinner, so I sent him to bed early...

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 270 Replies
3 moms liked this

I don't know if this was the right thing to do or not, but I was frustrated...

This was the third night in a row that DS(11) has pulled this crap. He'll start dinner, eat "most" of it and say he's full (so he can get back to watching TV or doing whatever) even when he's not. Then when it's time for bed, or shower or whatever hours later, he's "hungry" and wants to eat then.

And he actually IS hungry, I can tell by how little he ate. But this time, dinner was already packed away and I wasn't going to dish it all out again for him. I'm not one of those "finish everything on your plate" parents, so it's hard when he "says" he's full for me to force him to finish it all...

I don't know what else to do...

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:23 AM
12 moms liked this

make a 'snack jar' and put a couple things in it after dinner he's allowed to have....when they're gone, that's it til the next day

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:23 AM
6 moms liked this

Maybe he is going through a growth spurt? Can you offer him some fruit? I wouldn't pull out dinner and remake a meal but a small snack of fruit or veggies sure why not?

kolbiesmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
At that late he shouldn't be eating a meal anyways. Maybe a bedtime snack and a cup of milk or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM
2 moms liked this
My kids are always hungry at bed so now we make sure they have a snack about a half hour to an hour before bed.
spastic_poodle
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM
11 moms liked this
My daughter has done that too.

So now I tell her to eat up because she's not getting anything else after dinner. It took a couple nights of hard learning but now she eats until she's full. And if she REALLY is still hungry later I give her vegetables or fruit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM
4 moms liked this

I would and have done the same.  We eat at dinner time.  If they don't eat a good enough portion, I don't neccesarily make them eat all their food on their plates, they don't get anything else for the evening.  Next time maybe wrap his plate and reheat it a bit later for him.  

Quelinda2411
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Give him a snack. My son does this all the time....well he eats his dinner but he is always hungry right before bed.
NiCo86
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM
7 moms liked this
he'll have to learn that dinner time is dinner time, or he'll go to bed hungry.
SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this
In my house dinner is at a certain time and there are no snacks later.
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM
21 moms liked this

Is he getting up when everyone else is still sitting eating?  I'd tell him that its fine if he's finished eating but he has to stay with everyone else at the table rather than running off to watch tv.   Maybe if he is hungry he'll eat more if he knows he doesn't get to go and play.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)