Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He forgot dinner, so I sent him to bed early...

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't know if this was the right thing to do or not, but I was frustrated...

This was the third night in a row that DS(11) has pulled this crap. He'll start dinner, eat "most" of it and say he's full (so he can get back to watching TV or doing whatever) even when he's not. Then when it's time for bed, or shower or whatever hours later, he's "hungry" and wants to eat then.

And he actually IS hungry, I can tell by how little he ate. But this time, dinner was already packed away and I wasn't going to dish it all out again for him. I'm not one of those "finish everything on your plate" parents, so it's hard when he "says" he's full for me to force him to finish it all...

I don't know what else to do...

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Replies (261-270):
Saphira1207
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

:)

we only have healthy stuff on hand here for after supper snacks.  I have a no sugar after 5pm rule so all the "good" snacks would be out anyway.  One of my sons favorites is cheese and crackers.  He often wants it with pepperoni as well.  It's a filling snack either way and works well for a pre-bedtime "meal".

Is your son growing properly according to his growth chart?  If so then you don't need to worry about him being husky.  It's likely all muscle and not fat.  I know a few kids like that.  One started husky and turned into a svelte teenager a few years later.  Just needed the height to go with the muscles.

Oh, and I'm even more sure my son is in a growth today.  I realized yesterday afternoon that he's grown almost 3 inches in the last time I checked at the end of the school year.

Quoting momof3jam:

That could really be it then. He hasn't really had a growth spurt in a while. The only thing I'm afraid of is that he's already a "husky" boy. I don't encourage him to "lose weight" (I think that's terrible) but I do try to teach him to eat healthy and not to stuff himself so full that he can't move lol. So I guess for now, letting him snack isn't a bad thing. I think if I have only healthy, unattractive snacks after dinner I'll be able to tell if he's snacking "just because", or if he really is hungry. I'm just so worried and feel like I have to keep his weight in check, without him knowing...

It's strange because my 2 younger ones have the same eating habits, but are little skinny kids.

Quoting Saphira1207:

If it helps you at all my son, also 11, is getting hungry right before bed lately too.  It doesn't seem to matter how much he eats at supper time or all during the day,  right before bed he gets hungry.  I think he's going into a growth spurt, which they do at about 11 or so.

It was last night that convinced me of the growth surt theory - he had to huge bowls of stew and was genuinely hungry again a couple of hours later.  That's how he is when he's in a spurt - hungry all the time.

Quoting momof3jam:

I don't know if this was the right thing to do or not, but I was frustrated...

This was the third night in a row that DS(11) has pulled this crap. He'll start dinner, eat "most" of it and say he's full (so he can get back to watching TV or doing whatever) even when he's not. Then when it's time for bed, or shower or whatever hours later, he's "hungry" and wants to eat then.

And he actually IS hungry, I can tell by how little he ate. But this time, dinner was already packed away and I wasn't going to dish it all out again for him. I'm not one of those "finish everything on your plate" parents, so it's hard when he "says" he's full for me to force him to finish it all...

I don't know what else to do...

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

You might take this time to educate yourself on nutrtion and the issues that can come up from trying to force a child to eat.  We as americans obviously have no clue when it comes to food or we wouldn't be a nation of so many obese people.  Reading many of these responses i can see why.  

Quoting FarinsMommy:

i ment when shes older, she doesnt like tv right now anyway lol
Quoting Anonymous:

wow that is a bit young dont you think????  that is what you would do for a 2-4 year old,  not 3 months :(   what are you making such a young baby eat????  and why would a 3 month old be watching tv or games???

Quoting FarinsMommy:

my dd is only 3 months but we have decided that there will be no tv or game time untill she eats all or a really good portion of her food.  so that would be a suggestion to you if thats what hes wanting to do and not eat

FarinsMommy
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM
well na duh were not gonna feed her fast food crap every night i have a pre made chart of fruits and veggies for her age group when we start solids in october
Quoting erinsmom1964:

You might take this time to educate yourself on nutrtion and the issues that can come up from trying to force a child to eat.  We as americans obviously have no clue when it comes to food or we wouldn't be a nation of so many obese people.  Reading many of these responses i can see why.  

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

wow that is a bit young dont you think????  that is what you would do for a 2-4 year old,  not 3 months :(   what are you making such a young baby eat????  and why would a 3 month old be watching tv or games???

Quoting FarinsMommy:

my dd is only 3 months but we have decided that there will be no tv or game time untill she eats all or a really good portion of her food.  so that would be a suggestion to you if thats what hes wanting to do and not eat

CafeMom Tickers
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:34 PM

LOL well OK then good for you and your charts but .......what I was talking about is forcing children to eat when they are not hungry.  by saying you can't have x until you eat what I THINK is the proper amount that is what your setting your child up for.  Children should learn to listen to their bodies not some set schedule or plan you have posted.  Everyone is different and even have different needs on different days.  THIS is a huge reason for obesity and other eating issues like binging and such.  

If your already planning solids before your child can even sit up might I suggest you also look up baby led solids.  With no obvious experience you may want to learn not to be so defense when others give you suggestions. You could also work on your reading comprehension a bit no where did I mention fast food or crap

Quoting FarinsMommy:

well na duh were not gonna feed her fast food crap every night i have a pre made chart of fruits and veggies for her age group when we start solids in october
Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

jamiebell
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM
This, its what we do. I also cannot send a kid to bed hungry. If i really felt they didnt eat enough or felt it was an excuse to go play, they may have healthy snacks before bed. For me that means fruit and nothing else.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Is he getting up when everyone else is still sitting eating?  I'd tell him that its fine if he's finished eating but he has to stay with everyone else at the table rather than running off to watch tv.   Maybe if he is hungry he'll eat more if he knows he doesn't get to go and play.

jamiebell
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Wow! Was that necessary?! Wtf? There isnt a rule book about this baby led solid way to eat and that's a choice of how you want to go about feeding your kid, its not the only way. My kids don't leave the table until their veggies are gone and a majority of their meat. That's the way it is in my house. If they aren't hungry, maybe you're feeding them too many snacks in between meals? And yes every child and every body is different, my 8 year old will clear his plate, no problem. My 6 year old is tiny and fills easy so his portion sizes are smaller, my 4 year old eatswhats good for him and my baby is not yet in solids....dont insult and dictate other moms what and how to feed their kids. Youre not superior and your inyoursults are just being a bully. Trust me when i say, if anyone is familiar with cafemom, we are all reminded and educated daily on baby led solids, erf, breast.feeding, and homeschooling. This isnt new info.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

LOL well OK then good for you and your charts but .......what I was talking about is forcing children to eat when they are not hungry.  by saying you can't have x until you eat what I THINK is the proper amount that is what your setting your child up for.  Children should learn to listen to their bodies not some set schedule or plan you have posted.  Everyone is different and even have different needs on different days.  THIS is a huge reason for obesity and other eating issues like binging and such.  

If your already planning solids before your child can even sit up might I suggest you also look up baby led solids.  With no obvious experience you may want to learn not to be so defense when others give you suggestions. You could also work on your reading comprehension a bit no where did I mention fast food or crap

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't send a kid to bed hungry either.   I let my kids make their own meals if they don't like what I made and they know jumping up to play isn't an option so I don't have too much trouble with kids not eating at the table.  But, if they aren't hungry at dinner and they didn't eat enough, they can have a glass of milk or fruit before going to bed.  

Quoting jamiebell:

This, its what we do. I also cannot send a kid to bed hungry. If i really felt they didnt eat enough or felt it was an excuse to go play, they may have healthy snacks before bed. For me that means fruit and nothing else.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Is he getting up when everyone else is still sitting eating?  I'd tell him that its fine if he's finished eating but he has to stay with everyone else at the table rather than running off to watch tv.   Maybe if he is hungry he'll eat more if he knows he doesn't get to go and play.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM
LMAO yoy can't comprehend what you read much better than her can you,? No where did I say baby led solid was the only way to go nor did I say a word about my children having a hard time eating their meals. No where did I dictate anything what I did was from almost 30 years of experience ad aa mother SUGGEST she educate herself. Its been proven that forcing your children to eat causes do many issues and is aa leading reason of the obesity epidemic in our country and talk about bullying. I teach my children to listen to their bodies. Not sure why that upsets you zip much and leads to do many off the wall assumptions but do be it

Quoting jamiebell:

Wow! Was that necessary?! Wtf? There isnt a rule book about this baby led solid way to eat and that's a choice of how you want to go about feeding your kid, its not the only way. My kids don't leave the table until their veggies are gone and a majority of their meat. That's the way it is in my house. If they aren't hungry, maybe you're feeding them too many snacks in between meals? And yes every child and every body is different, my 8 year old will clear his plate, no problem. My 6 year old is tiny and fills easy so his portion sizes are smaller, my 4 year old eatswhats good for him and my baby is not yet in solids....dont insult and dictate other moms what and how to feed their kids. Youre not superior and your inyoursults are just being a bully. Trust me when i say, if anyone is familiar with cafemom, we are all reminded and educated daily on baby led solids, erf, breast.feeding, and homeschooling. This isnt new info.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I agree with you, erinsmoms. My parents were the kind that heaped our plates full of canned veggies, potatoes and gravy, meat, and bread & butter, and then made us "clean our plates". While I have never been obese (my parents and all of my siblings are morbidly obese), I struggled for years with food issues and anxiety over food.

Now, I eat clean, no refined sugar, no processed (or as minimally as possible), and mostly organic. I also teach my daughter to listen to her body, eat slowly and thoughtfully, appreciate her foood and know that it is fuel to help her grow, live, and thrive.

The better we feed our kids with real & whole foods, the less they need to eat and snack all day, because their bodies recognize that they're getting the fuel they need. Still, I never deny my daughter a healthy snack if she's hungry.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

LMAO yoy can't comprehend what you read much better than her can you,? No where did I say baby led solid was the only way to go nor did I say a word about my children having a hard time eating their meals. No where did I dictate anything what I did was from almost 30 years of experience ad aa mother SUGGEST she educate herself. Its been proven that forcing your children to eat causes do many issues and is aa leading reason of the obesity epidemic in our country and talk about bullying. I teach my children to listen to their bodies. Not sure why that upsets you zip much and leads to do many off the wall assumptions but do be it

Quoting jamiebell:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FarinsMommy:

blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM

We always allowed a small bedtime snack, regardless of how much or how little our girls ate for supper. It was just part of the routine. Most of the time they ate a small bowl of cereal, but other possibilities included cheese and crackers, piece of fruit, small bowl of canned fruit, dish of ice cream, goldfish crackers, etc. They usually had a glass of milk with bedtime snack too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)