Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I could have been robbed, raped, or even murdered.*ETA- photo on pg 17 of the text I sent Fiancé after the incident*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Yesterday, I drove over to Walmart just to pick up a few things. I park far from any stores when I go shopping and what not, ya know, to get SOME type of exercise.

Well, I had just left my girlfriends house bc we had worked out. I was wearing these tight yoga pants, and this pink yoga shirt, and tennis shoes. Didn't have any type of makeup, I wasn't dressed to the point where I was seeking attention.

Well, I'm on the phone with my fiancé, as I'm loading up my front passenger seat with groceries, I see this guy, I will never forget his face.. He was walking towards my car.

He had on white sneakers, socks, denim jean shorts, and his bright white and turquoise stripped shirt, he had a gold chain with a charm around his neck, and he was carrying a black backpack over his right shoulder with a brown strap. He was about 5'7 or 5'8. I'd say probably 160- 170 pounds. He had almond brown eyes that were kinda off set from one another, and he had that like eraser type haircut, fade, whatever you call it. And his skin was like a caramel colored skin.

Well, I tell my fiancé "babe, please stay on the phone with me, please don't hang up" I just repeated it over and over.

They say you get that feeling something isn't right, that just comes over you.. well... I just knew in my gut something WAS NOT right.

I see the guy pass my car, before he makes it passed my car I threw my purse in with the rest of the groceries; I'm trying to act as I'm not threatened or scared... I see him from the corner of my eye start to slow down, I notice he looks around and does a half circle back towards me. He notices someone get in their car, so he turns around and slowly begins walking toward the store. I finally push the cart between him and I and I shut the passenger side door. He then turns around back towards me, and rushes over to me and asks my name.. "What's your name??" I shook my head no, and told him "I have to go" all the while my fiancé is asking what's going on, but I'm in a state of panic, my hearts racing, and I'm scared to death.

I get around the car, and slightly leaped for my door, jumped in and locked my door. When I looked through my side mirror, I see he is right there by my back door. I put the keys in the ignition, and he starts taking three steps forward. I put the car in drive, and he runs around to the other side. I put the car in reverse, and I was putting the car in drive, I see him do a slight jog towards the car..

My fiancé starts yelling at me asking me to tell him what just happened, and I begin having a full blown panic attack. I couldn't breath, my arms, legs, feet, everything was shaking.. I just burst into tears, and could barely get a word out.

Those kind of things only happen in movies. That was The most terrifying thing that has EVER happened to me in my 27 years of life.

I sat there and wondered- what would have happened if I hadn't been on the phone? What would have happened if i hadn't reacted so quickly and locked my door? What would have happened if that person hadn't been out there and he would have had an earlier opportunity to come near me??

One thing I have learned from all this ladies.

You can't trust anyone.
I'm one to be nice to everyone, no matter what.
But from now on, I am going to be more aware of my surroundings. No more tight clothes out in public, and no more parking far.

I asked my fiancé if I should report the incident just so women are aware of that man. I don't know what he is capable of.. Should I report it to protect others? Or should I just forget it and use it as a life lesson??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (231-239):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Those are awesome!! Thank you soooo much for taking the time out to write this out!!! Those are all good safety tips!!!

Quoting momof6nokc:

Things all of you should know (learned in a self defense class, taught by a detective):

1. A Criminal's #1 goal is to NOT GET CAUGHT. This is important :o)

2.  Criminals are looking for an EASY TARGET.  When you are leaving a mall, store, etc. do NOT talk on your cell phone---Cell phones make you distracted.  You need to have your keys out, your head up, eyes glancing around, walking in a confident fashion. 

Confidence and awareness of your surroundings make you an unlikely target.   If you are glancing around, noticing things, walking at a good pace (but not as if you are afraid) very often the criminal will avoid you.  They want someone who is digging in their purse, distracted, talking on the phone, leaning over and putting bags in their trunk, etc.  DON'T BE A TARGET!

3.  If you feel uneasy about a situation then listen to your instinct. If someone is standing by your car in the dark parking lost, LISTEN TO YOUR GUT and walk right back inside to find a security guard.  Again, we are the only species that trains ourselves to ignore that survival instinct that mother nature gave us.  Why???  PAY ATTENTION!

4.  OK, you've done everything right and someone is still approaching you and you are uneasy.  You look them dead in the eye and you say loudly and confidently "What do you want???"  You want to throw them off their game. Remember...they want an easy target, they DO NOT want a fight or for someone to remember them. Show them you are not afraid. (even though you might be peeing your pants, LOL)

5.  If you are entering your car with your keys out and a man comes up behind you and tells you to get in the car, what do you do?  You throw your car keys away as far and hard as you can!  No keys?  He can't take you anywhere.

6.  Which brings me to this....try with all your might not to ever go to the "second location". The statistics on women/children taken to a second location are GRIM.  Even *if* you survive, what you endure at that second location will scar you forever. 

7.  A man gets in your car at a stop light, he has a gun and tells you to drive.   What do you do?  You drive, of course  :o)  Right into the back of the car in front of you, or in the side of a car, etc.  What does everyone do when they see a crash?  They get out of their cars to help.

8.  You are in a public place and a man walks up to you, shows you a gun hidden in his jacket and tells you to go with him.  You drop to the floor in a dead faint or fake a seizure. That gets EVERYONE running to your aid.

9.  If a man has a gun or a knife try not to be afraid of that gun or knife. If you are in a public don't be afraid of him stabbing or shooting you.  Remember, criminals do not want to get caught so he is very, very unlikely to stab or shoot you in public.  And second, even *if* he does, you have a MUCH better chance at survival in a public place than that deadly second location.

That's all I can think of for now...

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM
That is scary, but I doubt reporting it would do anything
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM
"No more tight clothes in public" seriously?

I'm glad everything was ok and you are safe, but I wouldn't blame it on tight cllthing anymkre than I would blame it on the color of you car.
Bonnie_
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

You should have reported  it as soon as possible to get the cops in the area.  Now some other woman may be at risk.

Schauseil
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM
??? I'm confused, maybe he thought you looked familiar and thought he might know you, why assume he was someone bad?
twade26
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I believe you OP but I will tell you that using a text for proof doesn't mean shit in the year 2013. I can fake a text in 5 minutes flat and so can most people with a computer and a cell phone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I believe you.
But you keep replying to people that you don't care if they believe you or not. If you don't care, why post the text as "proof"?
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
You shouldn't have been on the phone. That is one of the things attackers target. You would likely have been done before he saw you and more likely to have been aware of your surroundings if you weren't distracted by the phone. Thats self defense 101.
I'm glad you are ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmom10142011
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM

i always go to an indoor range but i think its better to  be safe than sorry

Quoting MorganTho:

Oooh okay I went to an outdoor range with my DF, nephews and dad when In was 4-5 months pg. No one said anything and I hadn't read anywhere that was on the no-no list. I want to get my concealed permit as well!

Quoting newmom10142011:

some ranges at least the one i go to wont allow a pregnant woman to shoot because of the risk of a ricoche also doctors may suggest not doing it because of everything you can inhale after you fire. so i am going to have to practice a few times before i take the class

Quoting MorganTho:

Are you not supposed to shoot while pregnant????

Quoting newmom10142011:

I have a 9mm myself I was going to get my carry permit this year but I found out I was pregnant and I cant shoot until after I have the baby so for no I have pepper spray which is a cool mix its got cs gas and a dye in it so if the person trys to wash it off it can still be seen under a black light. also have my knife along with the others my husband keeps in the car. I am a bit paranoid but better safe than sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

I have pepper spray for the time being. My fiancé sai we are going to get my weapons permit, soon. He wants me to have a small hand held.. /:

I'm so terrified now.. Argggg

Quoting newmom10142011:

report the incident to the police and the store carry a knife with you i always do when i out at night alone and when its late try not to park far from the door if you have to have an employee or security walk with you. and the clothes have nothing to do with itif a guy want to try something he will regardless of what you are wearing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)