Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you ever let your MIL live with you??

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 503 Replies

My MIL has made constant jokes about "one day when we move her in with us" but I know that it really isn't a joke. I know she is expecting us to. No way in HELL would I ever let her. Maybe that's mean, but I don't really care. We don't get along at all. She is super nosey, always wanting to know all of our financial information. We have to hide bills and stuff when she's here babysitting or else she will go through them. I can imagine it would be 1000 times worse if she lived here. And finally, the main reason I wouldn't let her live here is because she is a hoarder. Her house is horrendous. Can't even deal with that. I told hubby if she ever expects it one day, it will be her or me. I just can't do it.

Would you be able to live with your MIL/in-laws.

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saydar
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM

MIL, no, not unless she had a serious stroke or other serious medical condition. I think I'd let her live with us before DH, honestly. She's rattlesnake-mean and a drunk to boot.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM
7 moms liked this

I would have to. I believe in taking care of family and wouldnt ever leave her out to fend for herself as a senor. People in nursing homes make me so sad. 

Photo: -Randi.

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

No way in hell.  Not that DH would let it happen either, he thinks she's nuts.

NiCo86
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
my MIL, if she wasn't deceased, most definitely. we already had plans to build a mother-in-law apartment on to our house for her
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM
No. One of my MIL's is an untreated schizophrenic and it would be negligent to allow her access to my children. The other one holds cultist views has been cut out of our lives. She believes some really scary stuff, including that Wiccan's should be burned at the stake. I'm not letting those views poison our home.
mistie900
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was with my ex we let his mom move in with us. She's great. I had no issues at all with her. She helped me around the house and with the kids. I hope to be a mother in law like her one day. We are still friends even now that I am not with her son and have a fiancé.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Connie04
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't mind if she had her own self-contained suite.  She's very independent, so it would never happen in a million years (thank God!), but if it did, she'd have to have her own suite.

VannaMae307
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM

My MIL/FIL aren't so bad. My MIL is a clean freak psychocleaningmaniac so my house would be spotless all the time. My FIL drinks a little too much for me to care for but nothing negative comes from it other than stinky farts. My SIL would absolutely not be welcome, she has been leeching off my MIL/FIL for years. She has a new boyfriend every few months, 2 kids with 2 dads and the daddy drama to come with it. That wouldn't be pleasant living with her. The kids I don't mind but her and her drama can stay far away.

sarahbell811
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM

That's awesome! I wish I felt that way about my MIL.

Quoting mistie900:

When I was with my ex we let his mom move in with us. She's great. I had no issues at all with her. She helped me around the house and with the kids. I hope to be a mother in law like her one day. We are still friends even now that I am not with her son and have a fiancé.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM
My mil tried to move in with us because we had a 3 bedroom and there was only the 2 of us. We didn't let her. She died last week and Dh is having a really hard time with it :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)