Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

are you one of those parents?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Who say "oh we can't watch that, it MIGHT scare my kid"

IMO I say give it a chance, let the child be the judge if Its scary or not. I don't want my child growing up being a big scardy cat of EVERYTHING around him. My 3 year old has watched the walking dead with us and he absolutely loves it. My mom gives me grief about this all the time! It irritates me, she's even kicked him out of the room because she was watching a "scary" show. Something he probably wouldnt pay attention to, or understand ,let alone get scared. It just bugs me that she does this. My younger brother who is 7 wouldn't watch Thomas the train with my son because he says there's a part that scares him. Is it just me or is that ridiculous??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Um yes I do. But only stuff with extreme violence and rape scenes and other stuff like that. My 5 year old and 9 year do not need to see that crap.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one lol

Quoting NoahandEliza:

No. My 2yo watches Supernatural with me every morning. She tells me it's time to watch Sam and Dean. I'll just have a kid that isn't scared of ghosts or monsters. My 8yo doesn't have much interest in stuff I watch, but he has seen a few scary movies and watched the SyFy marathon of mutant shark movies a few weeks ago.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I agree.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Yes, I'm on of those parents who knows what her children are ready to process and understand and avoid exposing them to those things they can't yet. SIlly me, I guess I should just let my 7 year old watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and see if it scares him or not in order not to make him a wuss....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Yeah, we don't let him watch like any sex related scenes. I don't feel like explaining to my 3 year old what their doing quite yet lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Um yes I do. But only stuff with extreme violence and rape scenes and other stuff like that. My 5 year old and 9 year do not need to see that crap.

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to get my kid to nap by putting on Ghost Hunters... It was dark, they whispered.... Worked well for a few months. Lol

That being said I think it depends on the personality and temperament of the kid to determine what they can and can't handle.

Some kids might find the walking dead humorous or just fun-scary because they are good at separating tv from reality. Other kid could get nightmares from it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Depends. I can kinda gauge what will and will not scare ds. But if I question something, I probably won't have him watch it. He's good though, like if something bad comes on the screen he turns away and won't look until I tell him it's gone. As he gets older, he realizes that these things are not real so not much to be afraid of. But we don't typically watch horror movies (dh is a BABY!!) so i don't have to worry about super scary stuff.

((can i just mention that dh won't even watch the wizard of oz because it scares him.....uhhh wtf?!?!))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!!! I mean I know my kids wont be scared but seriously I wanna relax and watch tv and snuggle not explain rape to my child....

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, we don't let him watch like any sex related scenes. I don't feel like explaining to my 3 year old what their doing quite yet lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Some kids are more sensitive than others and we should respect that.

I'm involved in a lot of child development activities and seminars and courses. One seminar I went to, lead by a developmental pediatrician, said videos and imagines that are meants for older children seen by younger children -- especially preschool age children -- is *very* unhealthy for their mental health.

This article explains the damage poor choice CARTOONS can have on children's brains: http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/12/study-some-cartoons-are-bad-for-childrens-brains/

Can you imagine the damage of watching "the walking dead". I think thats child abuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm one of those parents, and my 5yo is scared of a lot of stuff.  

I'm good with that.  The exposure will come eventually.  I think desentizing children is a big detriment to society.

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

No. My dd is not scared as much as she is very empathetic for her age. If she saw someone getting hurt or die, that would really upset her and make her sad. It isn't the monsters or whatever that bothers her as much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)