Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

are you one of those parents?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Who say "oh we can't watch that, it MIGHT scare my kid"

IMO I say give it a chance, let the child be the judge if Its scary or not. I don't want my child growing up being a big scardy cat of EVERYTHING around him. My 3 year old has watched the walking dead with us and he absolutely loves it. My mom gives me grief about this all the time! It irritates me, she's even kicked him out of the room because she was watching a "scary" show. Something he probably wouldnt pay attention to, or understand ,let alone get scared. It just bugs me that she does this. My younger brother who is 7 wouldn't watch Thomas the train with my son because he says there's a part that scares him. Is it just me or is that ridiculous??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree 100%. We dont filter what DS (6) watches for the most part. If he watches it and it has a negitive effect, then I wont let him watch it again. Other than that, go for it.

DS started watching Jurassic park at 3. Everyone here gave me crap about it. He watched Freddy VS Jason when he was 4 and loved it.

xoxRachelxox
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Yes I am.

I know my kids better than anyone. I know what will scare them and what won't.

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I think children should watch things that are age appropriate, so I guess i am.

GinnyW22
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

My bfs sd watches walking dead she has a crush on Darrel! It's the cutest thing ever! 

redbutterfly666
by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

we do with some movies but not many

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM

my kids have different media needs.

DD9 can't watch movies/shows or even the news when 'scary' weather stories are involved.  She has major weather-related anxiety.  She saw part of Twister once and refused to leave the house for 2 days because it was rainy and the sky was "scary."  She also really shouldn't watch emotionally taxing stories (Marley & Me is a BIG no-no).  They leave her wrecked and frazzled for days.

DD6... nothing fazes her.  i limit it by general content only.  No overtly adult/scary/bloody stuff... pretty normal age appropriate limitiations

Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM
This, only my son is 9. I don't expose him to violence like zombies or graphic killing. The worst he's seen is Stargate.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Yes, I'm on of those parents who knows what her children are ready to process and understand and avoid exposing them to those things they can't yet. SIlly me, I guess I should just let my 7 year old watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and see if it scares him or not in order not to make him a wuss....

Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Yep, I'm that parent. My kids only watch age appropriate material.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM

My 9yr old niece was going to horror movies with her dad at age 5. She see's more horror movies than most adults I know. Her and DH can sit and discuss them for hours. I think its kind of strange to listen to a little kid talk about some of the things happening in them, but she understands its all fake and it doesn't effect her in a negitive way, so whats the problem?

I'm not saying every child can handle it, but I think to many parents filter out to much. I know people who wont let their kids watch anything except G rated movies.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Yes, I'm on of those parents who knows what her children are ready to process and understand and avoid exposing them to those things they can't yet. SIlly me, I guess I should just let my 7 year old watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and see if it scares him or not in order not to make him a wuss....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Well, my 7 year old loves superhero movies but I know they are too intense for my 4 year old. She gets scared easily. So, I guess I am one of those parents.

No walking dead for either of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN