Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

are you one of those parents?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Who say "oh we can't watch that, it MIGHT scare my kid"

IMO I say give it a chance, let the child be the judge if Its scary or not. I don't want my child growing up being a big scardy cat of EVERYTHING around him. My 3 year old has watched the walking dead with us and he absolutely loves it. My mom gives me grief about this all the time! It irritates me, she's even kicked him out of the room because she was watching a "scary" show. Something he probably wouldnt pay attention to, or understand ,let alone get scared. It just bugs me that she does this. My younger brother who is 7 wouldn't watch Thomas the train with my son because he says there's a part that scares him. Is it just me or is that ridiculous??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I'm one of those parents, and my 5yo is scared of a lot of stuff.  

I'm good with that.  The exposure will come eventually.  I think desentizing children is a big detriment to society.

Couldn't agree more! I actually cringe more at parents telling me their child isn't scared of something that should scare any mentally healthy individual than I am of overly fearful kids. Every time I hear a parent telling me that his 4,5,6 year old watched a slasher movie filled with gore, violence and horrible deaths and the kid didn't bat an eye (or worse- had fun!) I become scared of that kid...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM
See there's just something weird with my kid, not so much when someone dies in the walking dead he doesn't really react except maybe he'll say its gross, but like in finding nemo when that shark comes and eats the mom and the other baby eggs... He laughs. Lol

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

No. My dd is not scared as much as she is very empathetic for her age. If she saw someone getting hurt or die, that would really upset her and make her sad. It isn't the monsters or whatever that bothers her as much. 

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Nope, not one of those. 

tardistraveller
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM

It's not about being scared, it's about desensitizing and exposing him to things he is to young to differentiate from real life because of his age.  I don't want to raise a psychopath.

I let him watch things, I am not a super strict parents.

But I won't warp his mind.

And I think your a twit for letting a toddler watch walking dead.

tardistraveller
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM

maybe because you'e desentitized him and are raising a psycho?  Have fun with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

See there's just something weird with my kid, not so much when someone dies in the walking dead he doesn't really react except maybe he'll say its gross, but like in finding nemo when that shark comes and eats the mom and the other baby eggs... He laughs. Lol

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

No. My dd is not scared as much as she is very empathetic for her age. If she saw someone getting hurt or die, that would really upset her and make her sad. It isn't the monsters or whatever that bothers her as much. 

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Kids are just weird altogether. You never know what will set them off. I was surprised that my kid got so upset like she did and I kept thinking that she was crying out of fear. That wasn't the case. So now we really think about what we are going to show her. This includes kids movie that might have a character getting hurt or dying. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I'm going to protect my child's innocence as long as possible. As he gets older then he will be able to handle that type of show or movie. I think it's terrible that you would allow your 3 year old to watch the Walking Dead. I would never expose my 4 year old to anything with violence. Why? Because it can potentially get them interested in causing violence.

I really wish all parents went through Psychology classes before becoming parents. Then maybe you'd understand the damage that violence exposure has to children.

mommyfesha
by monster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
My 5 year old had nightmares about the purple minions after we saw despicable me 2!

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I know what scares my kids so there are things I won't even let them attempt to watch right now. Heck my daughter use to be terrifed of the minions on despicable me so we wouldn't watch it. one day she saw a picture of them & declared them funny & now she's ok with them hehe

ProudMommaBear
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If I know it will scare my child (say if she had a fear of clowns and the movie is about clowns, just an example) then yeah I'd be that parent... and if she's realy young and it's the exorcist, yeah I'd be that parent.  I guess it all depends on the movie, age of my daughter, and what shes scared of 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Well that makes sense. As he gets older ill explain that killing people is not the right thing to do! I just don't want him to be a big baby like around Halloween time, like his mommy whose 23 and won't step foot in a haunted house... I don't him to end up like that. He needs to have adventures not be the scared one who stays behind and misses out on a new experience because he was too afraid to give it a chance.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm one of those parents, and my 5yo is scared of a lot of stuff.  

I'm good with that.  The exposure will come eventually.  I think desentizing children is a big detriment to society.

Couldn't agree more! I actually cringe more at parents telling me their child isn't scared of something that should scare any mentally healthy individual than I am of overly fearful kids. Every time I hear a parent telling me that his 4,5,6 year old watched a slasher movie filled with gore, violence and horrible deaths and the kid didn't bat an eye (or worse- had fun!) I become scared of that kid...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)