Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

are you one of those parents?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Who say "oh we can't watch that, it MIGHT scare my kid"

IMO I say give it a chance, let the child be the judge if Its scary or not. I don't want my child growing up being a big scardy cat of EVERYTHING around him. My 3 year old has watched the walking dead with us and he absolutely loves it. My mom gives me grief about this all the time! It irritates me, she's even kicked him out of the room because she was watching a "scary" show. Something he probably wouldnt pay attention to, or understand ,let alone get scared. It just bugs me that she does this. My younger brother who is 7 wouldn't watch Thomas the train with my son because he says there's a part that scares him. Is it just me or is that ridiculous??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (41-50):
SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Hahahaha no. My son has watched some horrifying martial arts movies with me since age 3. He likes to be a little scared.
garnet83
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Yes I am. I censor diligently. I'm not risking giving my kids nightmares.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
That's so sweet that she gets so upset about a character getting hurt lol

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Kids are just weird altogether. You never know what will set them off. I was surprised that my kid got so upset like she did and I kept thinking that she was crying out of fear. That wasn't the case. So now we really think about what we are going to show her. This includes kids movie that might have a character getting hurt or dying. 

Quoting Anonymous:

See there's just something weird with my kid, not so much when someone dies in the walking dead he doesn't really react except maybe he'll say its gross, but like in finding nemo when that shark comes and eats the mom and the other baby eggs... He laughs. Lol

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

No. My dd is not scared as much as she is very empathetic for her age. If she saw someone getting hurt or die, that would really upset her and make her sad. It isn't the monsters or whatever that bothers her as much. 

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, and if not wanting to expose ds to horrific bloody horror films makes me overprotective, I'll happily take that title.
my.sonshine
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I'm not. He's 4 and probably wouldn't sit still long enough to have interest anyway. I can't think of anything I watch that's scary though. I listen to my kid and let him let me know when he doesn't like something. I don't choose his fears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Quoting momto2boys973:

Yes, I'm on of those parents who knows what her children are ready to process and understand and avoid exposing them to those things they can't yet. SIlly me, I guess I should just let my 7 year old watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and see if it scares him or not in order not to make him a wuss....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Children that watch scary movies are more likely to be desensitized to violence which is bad, so I choose to not expose my children to that!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM
lol I've been waiting for someone to insult me or my child because of this.... Thank you.

Quoting tardistraveller:

maybe because you'e desentitized him and are raising a psycho?  Have fun with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

See there's just something weird with my kid, not so much when someone dies in the walking dead he doesn't really react except maybe he'll say its gross, but like in finding nemo when that shark comes and eats the mom and the other baby eggs... He laughs. Lol

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

No. My dd is not scared as much as she is very empathetic for her age. If she saw someone getting hurt or die, that would really upset her and make her sad. It isn't the monsters or whatever that bothers her as much. 

southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I attempted to be one of those parents with my oldest ds, it lasted until he was 2 and his Aunt watched Dawn of the Dead with him.

Kid LOVED it, absolutely adored it. Sitting on the edge of his seat, shushing people, loved it.

On the other hand, Monster House gave him nightmares.

I was the same way as a kid, give me horror with a huge extra helping of gallons of fake blood please. 

Nowadays, I'm more of a, I'm not watching that unless you make a blood pact to stay up until dawn with me, kind of people. I blame that on pregnancy, never had an issue til I got pregnant for the first time and all of a sudden developed a mortal fear of spiders and all things squicky.

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was
Where do you want to start? Take the Doctors hand and join us at Cafe Who!

kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I wouldn't let them watch things with too much violence or bad language, or really anything too scary. A three year old doesn't need an adrenaline rush, like some adults do. Heck I don't even like "scary" stuff. I also don't think you should purposly make your kid watch something that isn't necessarily entertaining to them. If something is "scary" to them, and it isn't something that they will have to encounter in life then why push the issue?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)