Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are you one of those parents?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Who say "oh we can't watch that, it MIGHT scare my kid"

IMO I say give it a chance, let the child be the judge if Its scary or not. I don't want my child growing up being a big scardy cat of EVERYTHING around him. My 3 year old has watched the walking dead with us and he absolutely loves it. My mom gives me grief about this all the time! It irritates me, she's even kicked him out of the room because she was watching a "scary" show. Something he probably wouldnt pay attention to, or understand ,let alone get scared. It just bugs me that she does this. My younger brother who is 7 wouldn't watch Thomas the train with my son because he says there's a part that scares him. Is it just me or is that ridiculous??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (91-98):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
This, right here. 100%. 😃

Quoting pookiward:

Wtf? How can you be scared of Thomas! I've never censored anything my kid watched, read, or listened to. I simply explaimed to him the difference in reality and entertainment. Tell your mom that you are the parent and you will decide what your child watches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Hmmm. I won't step into a fake haunted house yet I'm not scared of real ghost.  I don't like haunted houses mostly cause the ones around here are gory too & i don't like gore. But real hauntings & ghost & cryptnids I'm not scared of and am quite fasinated by.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well that makes sense. As he gets older ill explain that killing people is not the right thing to do! I just don't want him to be a big baby like around Halloween time, like his mommy whose 23 and won't step foot in a haunted house... I don't him to end up like that. He needs to have adventures not be the scared one who stays behind and misses out on a new experience because he was too afraid to give it a chance.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm one of those parents, and my 5yo is scared of a lot of stuff.  

I'm good with that.  The exposure will come eventually.  I think desentizing children is a big detriment to society.

Couldn't agree more! I actually cringe more at parents telling me their child isn't scared of something that should scare any mentally healthy individual than I am of overly fearful kids. Every time I hear a parent telling me that his 4,5,6 year old watched a slasher movie filled with gore, violence and horrible deaths and the kid didn't bat an eye (or worse- had fun!) I become scared of that kid...

"The Ocean tells a thousand stories, none of them are lies" -Switchfoot

Goth_mom13
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

we only do that to movies that we know will scare US as well lol if they scare us they are gonna scare ds

pookiward
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
My ds is not a pshycopath! He's 15 now and i never censored his intrests in anyway.He's actually a very caring person who takes after his mom and just loves a good scare!

Quoting tardistraveller:

It's not about being scared, it's about desensitizing and exposing him to things he is to young to differentiate from real life because of his age.  I don't want to raise a psychopath.

I let him watch things, I am not a super strict parents.

But I won't warp his mind.

And I think your a twit for letting a toddler watch walking dead.

Retrokitty
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I don't censor TV or movies however it comes on a child to child basis. Some kids can handle it some kids can't. I would only let my child watch scary shows if they specifically asked to see it.
tardistraveller
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Did they have shows on television like walking dead when he was 3?

Quoting pookiward:

My ds is not a pshycopath! He's 15 now and i never censored his intrests in anyway.He's actually a very caring person who takes after his mom and just loves a good scare!

Quoting tardistraveller:

It's not about being scared, it's about desensitizing and exposing him to things he is to young to differentiate from real life because of his age.  I don't want to raise a psychopath.

pookiward
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM
O yes! I also let him watch Dee Sniders Strangeland when he was 8. We just both like horror movies.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Quoting pookiward:

Quoting tardistraveller:

tardistraveller
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I don't think it is healthy.  Smoking isn't going to make everyone get cancer, would you like your kid smoking?

Exposure to violence and gore isn't going to mess with every child's psychological well being.  

I am leniant in what my child watches, but I also use common sense.

Quoting pookiward:

O yes! I also let him watch Dee Sniders Strangeland when he was 8. We just both like horror movies.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Quoting pookiward:

Quoting tardistraveller:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured