Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your plan if a national emergency occurs during school hours?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 201 Replies

With all of the recent events going on with Syria its come to my mind that we are prepared for a lot of things, but ds just started school this week. We have no plans laid out as of right now if something should happen while he is school. Best case scenario is that dh could hop in the car and get him. But I'd like to talk to someone in the school and see if they have any procedures for that. If possible, and as long as there isn't immediate threat to the school, I'd like for them to keep them at school until a parent comes for them rather than evacuating them to another location. But we also have to consider an EMP strike- what would we do if we couldn't use the vehicles? We'd have to map out the quickest way there by foot. Then what? Should dh go alone and leave dd and I behind? All of us try to make it together?

What would YOU do if a national emergency occured during school hours?

And YES my tin foil is snuggly secured today ;)

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I would walk or run down to both schools and get the kids. That is if I couldn't drive. They re both close to my house.
xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Honestly I live in a small town and the schools are usually right in the neighborhood, walking distance. It's a small town and I don't think anything would go down RIGHT HERE, I think we'd all be OK staying put in town.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

See our school is 5 miles away. Not super far, but it would take at LEAST an hour to get there, and that's moving very fast.

Quoting ladyraven16:

I would walk or run down to both schools and get the kids. That is if I couldn't drive. They re both close to my house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM
4 moms liked this

this is why HAM radios should be owned by everyone...

embrigmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

We don't have a plan yet, it's a good point that families should have one

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids ride their bikes to school I would ride over and ride back with them like I do already.  I honestly don't worry about it my parents scared us all the time during the cold war and I won't do that to my kids. 

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM
We don't either and both schools are a good 5 miles away in opposite directions.

Quoting embrigmom:

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Yea, we've thought of A LOT of things, but this is something we haven't discussed yet. Definitely on my list of things to discuss with dh when he gets home!

Quoting embrigmom:

kristen0812
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM
My daughter goes to school right down the block. however, I know, according to their protocol if there's a lock down that means no in or out for anyone.
finnbar
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Maybe you should invest in a bike with a trailer. Given a big enough emergency I think you could get to school and get your son, on adrenaline alone! If he is able get a lil third wheel for him and attach it to your bike
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)