Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gender Specific Household Roles

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 38 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you have gender specific household chores?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

Do you have gender specific household responsibilities in your relationship?

I ask because my husband and I follow the old traditional gender roles our parents and grandparents followed and it works for us. I'm not saying that any other model is better or worse. I am just curious what the norm is these days. I have friends that share roles in their relationships and friends that are old school like us.

So I don't mow the lawn, I've never even started a lawn mower; Actually, I don't take care of the yard at all. I don't tend to the needs of the cars. I don't fix anything that's broken, I don't build anything that needs building; let's face it I don't use tools at all! I don't grill food on a bbq, don't even know how to start one. I don't take care of the garage and I don't take the trash out.

My husband has no responsibilities in the house, he never has scrubbed a toilet or shower, he doesn't do dishes, he doesn't sweep or vacuum, he doesn't fold clothes, he doesn't dust or wash windows. Overall, he has no responsibilities for chores in the home.

We are both involved and share responsibility for the needs of our children though.

Honestly, I think he has the better deal, because yard work and bbqing tends to be more seasonal!

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Pretty much. I mean, he will do the grocery shopping some days and take both kids with. He also enjoys cooking and will make us an awesome meal once in a while as well. For the most part though I do the "girly" chores and he does the "manly" ones.

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, my husband cooks and helps clean. It depends on the day and he can actually help me a lot.
SJG1013
by SJG on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM
3 moms liked this
We do whatever needs to be done.
I don't find them gender specific.
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
We're almost the same as you, but I can fix simple things. I have cooked on the grill before, but it took me fifteen minutes to turn it on. I don't take out the trash very often, only when my husband forgets. He's also been helping with the cooking because I've been getting lost in the kitchen and while cooking I forget what I'm doing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, kind of. I consider the trash and the yard to be "a man's job."

kaycersmom
by Katie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We are pretty much the same except I have taken the garbage out and my husband will cook (one of two meals lol) and do dishes.

wonderstruck11
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH's only chores that I ask him to do are dishes and the trash. I do the rest. We live in a rental, and so we don't do landscaping, but if we did it wouldn't matter. I have cut grass before, and it would just go to whoever had the time.

SaraBethKY
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Ours are pretty traditional as well. 

drowningmama
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

No ->  its called: Mommy pretty much does everything!

Bubbie0809
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We do things as they need to be done. It doesn't matter what "traditional" gender roles they could fit into.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured