Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gender Specific Household Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you have gender specific household chores?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

Do you have gender specific household responsibilities in your relationship?

I ask because my husband and I follow the old traditional gender roles our parents and grandparents followed and it works for us. I'm not saying that any other model is better or worse. I am just curious what the norm is these days. I have friends that share roles in their relationships and friends that are old school like us.

So I don't mow the lawn, I've never even started a lawn mower; Actually, I don't take care of the yard at all. I don't tend to the needs of the cars. I don't fix anything that's broken, I don't build anything that needs building; let's face it I don't use tools at all! I don't grill food on a bbq, don't even know how to start one. I don't take care of the garage and I don't take the trash out.

My husband has no responsibilities in the house, he never has scrubbed a toilet or shower, he doesn't do dishes, he doesn't sweep or vacuum, he doesn't fold clothes, he doesn't dust or wash windows. Overall, he has no responsibilities for chores in the home.

We are both involved and share responsibility for the needs of our children though.

Honestly, I think he has the better deal, because yard work and bbqing tends to be more seasonal!

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Replies (31-38):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a single Mom so I do it all, except for mowing the lawn and fixing things the LL is responsible for. My landlord mows the lawn and is great about fixing/replacing things like the fridge when it broke, the garage door when it broke, etc.

If something else breaks I try to fix it, I can fix some things, but usually I'll let my Dad take care of it. He likes coming to the rescue lol.

When my brother lived here for a short time though, I did make him do some of the more *Manly* chores like taking the garbage out, etc.

luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My. Husband couldnt BBQ to save his life!

I don't mow lawn he likes to do that. I do use other smaller garden tools etc. Trimming etc..

In the house I do majority but he also cleans does laundry if it needs doing..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't mow the lawn, work in the garage, work on the cars, wash the cars, or do any type of yard work. I did teach myself to grill a few years ago because I wanted some food grilled on the grill and my husband had to work late. He and I both clean the house, and take turns with dinner. He isn't allowed to do laundry except wash towels because I am picky and he doesn't follow my laundry rules. He does all of the grocery shopping and takes out all of the trash. He is also responsible for taking care of the animals and cleaning the bathrooms. I primarily handle all of the stuff for the kids, and their homework, except on occasion when I have my husband do it.
erica19791
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

No my husband does more housework than I do. He does laundry, the dishes, sweeps, and mops. I clean the bathrooms, dust and cook supper. He does all the outside stuff also.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope! I love mowing the lawn, and when my husband is gone for a week at a time - it needs to get done. I could have someone come and do it (and I have) but why?

I get my vehicle serviced at the dealership every 5000km, I pump my own gas, put my windshield fluid in it. I know how to change a tire, but I have home & auto - so I don't need to.

I take the garbage out. My husband is busy and I don't expect him to do that and I would want it done more often than he's able to.

My husband cleans up after himself. He can do dishes, laundry and he will sweep or vacuum if it needs to be spot cleaned.

shamroc374
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I would like a SAHD for a husband too. I could go to work and come home to a clean house, kids taken care of, and dinner. That would be amazing!!

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I am a farmer and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to meet a man like my DDs' DH or my SILs' DH. They are both SAHDs and it works great for them. Anyone know a fellow who would like to live on a farm and do all the house work?? I will fix the tractors and mow the fields!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

No, not here.  He mows the lawn, but other then that we do what needs to get done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol no. We both do all the chores. I admit that the yard is his thing. If it was up to me it would be all concrete, I hate mowing. But he likes landscaping.
I will admit he's better at most of the house hold chores than I am. I love winter because he turns into a SAHD and I get out doing most of them then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured