Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My dd got in trouble at school today, and I'm a little ticked at the school.

DD came home today and had "three strikes"...her classroom does 3 strikes and you're out. They get strikes for misbehaving. Her (assistant) teacher wrote in the note that it was for talking and not following directions. She was SO upset, and said that she did not hear her teacher telling her to be quiet. It is not like her to not listen and follow directions. We NEVER had an issue in preschool. It is listed on all of her forms that she has a hearing deficit, and I even reminded her teacher during orientation, and on the first day of school....So I called her teacher. She said that the assistant is the one that got onto her, and that she is soft spoken. She said that she was just so upset and crying because she got in trouble, and even told her that she didn't hear her other teacher. I'm not really sure how I feel about this situation. :-/

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Replies (111-114):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Yup I'm crazy bc I do not always stick up for my children when they are in trouble & give them excuses.  Honestly you women really crack me up, no wonder so many children are disrespectful, ill behaved, and have an entitled attitude these days.  They know mommy will stand up for them even when they do something wrong.

I stick up for my children, actually going into my son's school today to do so.  But I know for a fact that he was right.

How is it that I sound like a psycho, please I need to hear this bc I really need a good laugh.

Your children are going to have a hard time in adult life bc they won't know how to function not having mommy there to bail them out.

Her child was wrong.  I know how the process works, it is taught to the teachers & practically the same everywhere.  Her child KNEW what she was doing wrong, unless they are doing this discipline wrong but chances are they are not.

I will be psycho but I am a psycho that has well behaved, respectful, happy children who know I will stick up for them when they are in the right but will accept their punishment when they are in the wrong.

There is nothing militant about that.  Love to know where you get militant from.  Seeing things that aren't there, now that is psycho.

Quoting ericanicole27:

You DO sound a little crazy. I would hate to have you as my mom - why so militant? Or did you have a mom that never stuck up for you as a kid when things REALLY weren't your fault? If so, I'm sorry for that. But seriously, you sound like a psycho.
Quoting Anonymous:

LOL I'm crazy bc your child should not be getting out of things she has done wrong? Ok.

So it is the 2nd day of school, why does that mean rules should not be enforced?

How do you know the child didn't hear the teacher? Just bc she is hard of hearing doesn't mean she didn't hear the teacher.  But now she has an excuse all the time "Oh I didn't hear" what does that teach?

3 strikes, sorry that isn't how it works.  She would've been told repeatedly to be quiet, not just once & bam you get 3 strikes.  So I'm sure among the many times the child was told to be quiet she heard.

Where did I say I expect Kindergartners to never talk?  What is your point?  They shouldn't follow rules & have consequences bc they are kindergartners?  Well w/that thinking no wonder kids behave the way they do these days.

Again, it would have been repeated many times & chances are the teacher approached the table she was at as well & not just yelled across the room.

Typically the student needs to go over & move their card to the proper color, so the child knew she was misbehaving. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You seem a tad bit crazy.  She is a 5yr old on her 2nd day of school.  Most teachers give the kids a 'grace period' while trying to let the kids get familiar with each other.  Then you add on that this little girl has a hearing problem and couldn't hear the teacher asking her it was time to quit talking.  And to give her 3 strikes for 1 incident is silly.  Do you honestly expect a class of Kindergartners to never talk!?!    My daughter is in 2nd and they are allowed to talk, but have time when they are to be quiet, the teacher usually says 'Enough talking, lets finish our work' at that moment the girl probably wouldn't have heard.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Um tell your DD to not talk & to listen & there wouldn't be a problem.

I am so sick of parents making EXCUSES for their children when they have misbehaved.  Your precious little snowflake needs to learn to pay attention ESPECIALLY if she has a hearing deficit.  It is on HER to learn to deal w/it and listen better!

Cassidysmom611
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Phew, thank you for correcting me. 

Quoting Anonymous:

may not have*

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

I would let it go.... 

Your DD may not of heard her because she was talking, I am sure your DD didn't mean any harm. But, the rules are the rules. 

Things like this may happen again, and honestly take it as a learning opportunity for DD. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM
And how do you know that the classroom works on a color chart system? You don't. Stfu.

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said it was your child.

No there should not be a grace period, rules are laid out the first day of school and need to start being enforced right away.  Or the kids are going to try to get away with everything.

Also, like I said this child didn't just get on red for being reminded once, there would be multiple warnings & SHE would have to move her name to the color every single time.  So I am sure (unless the teachers aren't doing it right) the child knew what was going on & it isn't bc she couldn't hear.  The teacher's do not typically move the card, the child does therefore the child would have been approached on more than one occasion.

I'm not ok w/the OP acting like it is ok for her child to be talking and being HOH or in Kindergarten is really not an excuse.  Yes they are going to talk, but giving them an excuse "oh they are kindergartners" is not teaching them a thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not my child, I'm not the OP. My kids are in K and 2nd grade and haven't really gotten in trouble for talking or anything else. Thank God.
I'm not saying rules shouldn't apply, but most teachers have a grace period especially for something so little as talking. The teacher wasn't teaching, the were probably just working on a worksheet. We won't know if the teacher approached the girl or not, but the mother needs to find out and make it clear that she has hearing problems, just in case the child really didn't hear. You would hate (at least I would) if your child wasn't treated the way they needed to be because you were too worried about them using it as a crutch and them getting in trouble a lot because of it. The teacher just need to make sure she makes eur contact says stop talking or whatever she is suppose to.do that way if it's not accomplished there can't be any "I didn't hear you" because the teacher knows she made contact.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL I'm crazy bc your child should not be getting out of things she has done wrong? Ok.

So it is the 2nd day of school, why does that mean rules should not be enforced?

How do you know the child didn't hear the teacher? Just bc she is hard of hearing doesn't mean she didn't hear the teacher.  But now she has an excuse all the time "Oh I didn't hear" what does that teach?

3 strikes, sorry that isn't how it works.  She would've been told repeatedly to be quiet, not just once & bam you get 3 strikes.  So I'm sure among the many times the child was told to be quiet she heard.

Where did I say I expect Kindergartners to never talk?  What is your point?  They shouldn't follow rules & have consequences bc they are kindergartners?  Well w/that thinking no wonder kids behave the way they do these days.

Again, it would have been repeated many times & chances are the teacher approached the table she was at as well & not just yelled across the room.

Typically the student needs to go over & move their card to the proper color, so the child knew she was misbehaving. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You seem a tad bit crazy.  She is a 5yr old on her 2nd day of school.  Most teachers give the kids a 'grace period' while trying to let the kids get familiar with each other.  Then you add on that this little girl has a hearing problem and couldn't hear the teacher asking her it was time to quit talking.  And to give her 3 strikes for 1 incident is silly.  Do you honestly expect a class of Kindergartners to never talk!?!    My daughter is in 2nd and they are allowed to talk, but have time when they are to be quiet, the teacher usually says 'Enough talking, lets finish our work' at that moment the girl probably wouldn't have heard.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Um tell your DD to not talk & to listen & there wouldn't be a problem.

I am so sick of parents making EXCUSES for their children when they have misbehaved.  Your precious little snowflake needs to learn to pay attention ESPECIALLY if she has a hearing deficit.  It is on HER to learn to deal w/it and listen better!

MariannLws
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I never accepted "I didn't hear the teacher" as an excuse when any of our children (2 are now adults) came home in trouble for running their mouth in class. My rule was 1st warning from school is a warning from me. 2nd warning from school grounded at home. 3rd warning and in trouble at school spanking at home. I never did And still do not tolerate acting up, not paying attention, talking in class. You are in class to learn not run your mouth and act out. If you have a problem hearing the teacher you better turn around turn that hearing aid up and sit up front so you can hear. I had to tell our son that once and only once. 

Teachers may have grace periods. I never do. I am hard arse when it comes to school. I raise that bar high and I expect it to reached. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)