Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please don't make me be THAT parent.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 30 Replies
Last week, on the first day of school DS (2nd grade) gave his binder to another kid on the bus - it had all the first day of school information in it, his new planner, etc...... I had to write a note explaining the situation to the teacher (in case there was any information I was supposed to fill out in there) and asked her to please help him find it if at all possible.

Today, DS 'forgot' his homework or 'lost' it. He lied to me and told me he didn't have any but I checked his planner..... Day FIVE and I'm writing another note to the teacher letting her know he didn't bring it home.

DS is a good kid - he's well mannered, kind, and follows rules. He just has a disconnect with school. I want to rip my hair out! I just don't know what to do. This has been an issue since kindergarten with this boy.

Any suggestions?

We were planning on going to the football game tomorrow night but he's not allowed to go now. I don't want to be THAT parent who is always writing notes to the teacher but this is an issue that we (DS) needs to learn to resolve. I'm so lost!
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I hope you figure it out! Here's a bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Are you a SAHM? Maybe try home schooling?

mnmom300
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM
No I am not and that's not an option.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Go to the school right before he gets out. Speak with the  teacher about his homework folder/binder and find out which kid DS gave his binder to on the bus. Speak to the teacher and she can write the kids parent a note so you can get the binder back

mnmom300
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
He got the binder back. It's not so much an individual issue, but how frequently the issues arise.

Quoting Sassy762:

Go to the school right before he gets out. Speak with the  teacher about his homework folder/binder and find out which kid DS gave his binder to on the bus. Speak to the teacher and she can write the kids parent a note so you can get the binder back

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I'm not sure.  Good luck mama!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Well, his teacher can't be responsible for him, so I'm not sure what writing constant notes to her is going to do, besides annoy.

Quoting mnmom300:

Quoting Anonymous:

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

honestly? i would let him fail. 

It would be better for him to fail at school now, in this grade, than to do it later down the road when it will be detrimental. 

let him fail this semester. and when he realizes the consequences, he maybe straighten up. 

i know this isnt the best advice. its the best i could think of. 

when my DD is being stubborn and just refuses to do her work, i just look at her and say 'fine, if you want to fail in school, that is your choice' 

and that usually gets her attention. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Uhh...its the teachers JOB to be responsible for her students....

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, his teacher can't be responsible for him, so I'm not sure what writing constant notes to her is going to do, besides annoy.

Quoting mnmom300:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Please. Not in that capacity, not at that age.

Quoting Anonymous:

Uhh...its the teachers JOB to be responsible for her students....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mnmom300:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured