Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People with DEGREES dont even make that much UPDATE IN BLUE

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 243 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20130828&id=16849063

I saw this somewhere on here before but this is the first time I have seen it on the news. I think its kind of stupid. And before you chew my head of I worked 4 YEARS in fast food before having kids! And that was back when min wage was $5.25!! I may have lived paycheck to paycheck but I made it!

Supposedly they not only want min wage highered everywhere but also they want Mcd's workers to make $15 an hour! In my husbands line of work kids that are fresh out of college and started out in the field barely get $15 an hour how is it fair to be making Mcd's wages after completing school?

When I first started working as a CNA 4 years ago I only made $9 an hour and now I am still under $10 after YEARS in the field. Its somewhat silly.

I have worked fast food and I have worked other higher paying jobs and let me tell you- while working FF can get crazy its not hard work and therefore I do not think it is fair to get paid so much.

Ok so I am going to go ahead and do an update on this because I had NO idea that this post was going to get so many replies like it did. A lot of you had very valid points and I agree with a lot of them.

One thing- a lot of you say that it is ridiculous that CEO's make millions/billions of dollars. I agree that is is crazy that they make that much but to think that they should be giving away the money they technically earned to support lower income employees is kind of silly. I understand the concept of it but it doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the same have to be said for football players who make millions of dollars a year also? What about actors who get a million for making a movie for six months? Other successful business owners? It would have to go all around not just CEO's. A CEO didn't get where they are by accident they EARNED their position in the corporate world.

And here is to all the people who say that my being a CNA doesn't qualify me to earn more than $10 an hour. Whether you have worked as a CNA or not or if you know someone who is there are some things yes that you do NOT have to be certified for. However if you want to work in a real hospital setting and many professional medical offices they require that you be certified. And I NEVER SAID MY BEING A CERTIFIED CNA WAS EQUIVALENT TO HAVING A DEGREE. Nowhere in my post did I say that at all! And I never said that I deserved to be paid $15 before any Mcd's worker. I think its ridiculous to start a FF worker at  $15 yes. We all have to start somewhere.

The problem with America today is that they have made it easy to live off of welfare and other things that you get free. The money you get from living off welfare is often times MORE than a min wage job therefore making people think that any job isn't worth doing unless they can get paid more than welfare pays. Which I understand but is just silly. Especially for people who have no formal education a lot of these people fighting for higher min wage (according to the articles I read) are young people who had kids when they couldn't support them AND many do not even have a high school education.

And yes I do know what it is like to be a FF worker. I worked as one for many years and even had manager training. And I know all the skills that go into working FF. And NONE of them are anything that requires any type of degree or special training to do. The hardest part of a FF job is keeping up with the lunch rushes. Your required to keep up with the orders, get them all out in under a certain time and GET THEM RIGHT. It can get hectic and tiring but not $15 tiring lol. And yes I do agree that min wage should he raised accordingly to support a BASIC life in the given area. But what the majority of people call a basic life is not a basic life. Things like a cell phone, cable, internet and even a car payment are considered luxuries.

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SageAdvice
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, that depends on what one has a degree in, I make a lot.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM
3 moms liked this

How does it affect you? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM
7 moms liked this

Don't get me started with this. It's outrageous that these people have the gall to request this. I knew as a kid that if I wanted to support my family comfortably that it wouldn't happen by making fast food my career (non management). 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this

My grown kids make a very good living and thank me all the time for making them go to college, lol

Now if they only remember this when I am really OLD, lol

Quoting SageAdvice:

orliesmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I just do not think it sounds fair. If that gets hired everything else will go up as well

Quoting two4one:

How does it affect you? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

orliesmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

EXACTLY!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't get me started with this. It's outrageous that these people have the gall to request this. I knew as a kid that if I wanted to support my family comfortably that it wouldn't happen by making fast food my career (non management). 

the_dude
by abides on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM

dude, cost of living man. the dude has a degree, the dude spent her college years occupying certian administration buildings, tripping on acid and bowling, when i was working, i made more than 12 an hour to start. 

orliesmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I know it depends on what you get a degree in also but there are a ton of fields that you get a degree in and do not get a high paying position right away there are alot of places that still make you start "at the bottom" so to speak

Quoting Sassy762:

My grown kids make a very good living and thank me all the time for making them go to college, lol

Now if they only remember this when I am really OLD, lol

Quoting SageAdvice:

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Likewise.

Quoting SageAdvice:

Arwyn724
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

It is all relative to where you live.  Cost of living varies so much from area to area, and minimum wage is ridiculous, everywhere.  No fast food place where I live starts at minumum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)