Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

free lunch at school, do they really need to send out flyers?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 368 Replies
1 mom liked this

I received an envelope advertising free and reduced lunches for low income from my sons school  First off those who have their hands stuck out for freebies pretty much know how to find those resources, just look at all those on welfare.  Do they really need to send out flyers?  there are some 500 families in our district.  When you add the cost of envelopes, stamps, resources used to stuff all those envelopes and now send them.  Shouldn't that be the burden of the families seeking freebies to go and find that information at the school rather then have the school  incur another cost.  I think the free lunches should consist of nothing mote that a basic sandwich and apple and a water.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
1st
anitarichman
by Anita on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

have a nice day

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM
7 moms liked this
Our school gets lots of extra funding because of the amount of students in the free/reduced lunch program. They send out multiple flyers/sign up forms so people will sign up so they get more funding.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I completely agree with you about the mailings and people knowing how to find free handouts. Not to mention if you can't afford to feed your child(ren), don't have them. As far as the food goes, I don't think that a sandwich, apple, and water would cost any less than the hot lunches.

elkmomma
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM
20 moms liked this

eye rollingsealed lip

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM
3 moms liked this
My aunt is over the lunch room at ds school. She says to fill the forms out even if you don't think you qualify. It has something to do with school funding.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM
4 moms liked this

So send it back to them. Return to sender and a note saying they wasted money. LOL

On a  side note, I think ALL school lunches should be FREE. Yes, I said it, FREE. My kids take their lunches because 1. the  food there does naste like shit and 2. it is cheaper than paying 3 bucks for food that taste like shit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM
7 moms liked this

First, you're def a troll.

Second, schools get funding for the people on free/reduced lunch. It's in the school's best interest to advertise those programs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

We were told to fill our out even though we know we make too much. They get funding for every person who fills out the paper.

Quoting Anonymous:

My aunt is over the lunch room at ds school. She says to fill the forms out even if you don't think you qualify. It has something to do with school funding.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM
19 moms liked this

Lol. As much as I hate welfare/food stamps/WIC the kids should never be punished. They deserve the same slop everyone else gets served. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)