Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

free lunch at school, do they really need to send out flyers?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I received an envelope advertising free and reduced lunches for low income from my sons school  First off those who have their hands stuck out for freebies pretty much know how to find those resources, just look at all those on welfare.  Do they really need to send out flyers?  there are some 500 families in our district.  When you add the cost of envelopes, stamps, resources used to stuff all those envelopes and now send them.  Shouldn't that be the burden of the families seeking freebies to go and find that information at the school rather then have the school  incur another cost.  I think the free lunches should consist of nothing mote that a basic sandwich and apple and a water.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Many families are not always aware of the program, and schools get addition federal funding based on how many low income students are in the district. 

Our school asks all students to fill it out, even if you don't think you will qualify. The principal told me that they usually end up with20-25% of applicants who had no idea they qualified. 

CBMMOM
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM
12 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

My aunt is over the lunch room at ds school. She says to fill the forms out even if you don't think you qualify. It has something to do with school funding.

That's basically what I gathered from the letter we got about applying for free lunch. And,op,if you think the poorer students should get a worse lunch than the other kids,you're a crappy person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I wish free lunches were a sandwich, apple, and water. My child might actually eat that.

SaraBethKY
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

This is what I was thinking as well. 

Automatic payments from the state versus parents who might not end up paying, or pay much later than it is due. 

The school I worked at always hovered around 90% free and reduced lunch and we benefitted from that greatly. Discounts on field trips, discounts for special programs, etc. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Our school gets lots of extra funding because of the amount of students in the free/reduced lunch program. They send out multiple flyers/sign up forms so people will sign up so they get more funding.

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

legally, the free lunches must fit the dietary requirements for all school lunches.  Sandwich, apple and water doesn't fit the bill.

also, it is EXTREMELY beneficial to your school for you to apply for the program even if you refuse to take part in it.  They're just trying to get everyone to apply.  In our district, it's a required registration form.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM
8 moms liked this

So children should be punished because their parents do not make much?

Just as an interesting tidbit, my sister has her masters in social work and works in that field. IF she had a child (she doesn't), her income is low enough that she would qualify for PA - including free lunch for the hypothetical child. Can you imagine a world without people in such important, but crappily paying, positions? Every job has a place in society.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

tossed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, they do need to send out the information. Honestly, many kids go to school without eating or without enough food. Good nutrition is important for learning. While you may think people would automatically know that the service is available or that their income qualifies them for a service, that is not necessarily the case. I know a LOT of parents who were not aware that they qualified for reduced lunches. Having that little bit of extra support allowed the kids to eat better and thus, learn more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM

a sandwich an apple and water is not punishment.  At our house we call that lunch

Quoting AutymsMommy:

So children should be punished because their parents do not make much?

Just as an interesting tidbit, my sister has her masters in social work and works in that field. IF she had a child (she doesn't), her income is low enough that she would qualify for PA - including free lunch for the hypothetical child. Can you imagine a world without people in such important, but crappily paying, positions? Every job has a place in society.

happykitty316
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Getting free lunches means getting more government money.  The more free lunches a school gets, the more federal funding they receive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM

bread, peanut butter, ham, cheese, water apples  do not break the bank if a family can't afford that there is a problem

Quoting tossed:

Yes, they do need to send out the information. Honestly, many kids go to school without eating or without enough food. Good nutrition is important for learning. While you may think people would automatically know that the service is available or that their income qualifies them for a service, that is not necessarily the case. I know a LOT of parents who were not aware that they qualified for reduced lunches. Having that little bit of extra support allowed the kids to eat better and thus, learn more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured