Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

free lunch at school, do they really need to send out flyers?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I received an envelope advertising free and reduced lunches for low income from my sons school  First off those who have their hands stuck out for freebies pretty much know how to find those resources, just look at all those on welfare.  Do they really need to send out flyers?  there are some 500 families in our district.  When you add the cost of envelopes, stamps, resources used to stuff all those envelopes and now send them.  Shouldn't that be the burden of the families seeking freebies to go and find that information at the school rather then have the school  incur another cost.  I think the free lunches should consist of nothing mote that a basic sandwich and apple and a water.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
disastermind
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Not everyone is "seeking freebies" Some people really do need help with paying for school lunch.

I know here, they have to give you one even if you don't qualify. Now, they shouldn't have to mail them out, they should send them home in the packets with all the other paperwork they send home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM
12 moms liked this

You are not a very kind person. There are people who really do need the free lunches. There are families that send their kids to school hungry. I know because I teach kids like this. It is not the fault of the children! We (schools and teachers) have an obligation to take care of our students. It is VERY embarrassing for parents to approach schools and ask for free food for their children. If we can create an environment where everyone is included and informed than the better! If there were no flyers or advertisements and only a few people got this info, people like you would be throwing a fit because they were not informed of it! Get off your soapbox and put a little kindness in your heart

mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM

You would be surprised at how many parents believe since they got it the year before they have to fill it out again.  I do lunch duty at my kids' school and as I was leaving after the first two weeks I hear the lunch person telling kids if your parents don't put money on your account or refill out the paper work you will not get lunch tomorrow.  Also even for people that don't qualify they need something on record stating that you either don't want it or don't qualify.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this

UM Some people actually need the help and do work. I have 4 kids and i am a single mom never planned to be that way i work my ass off but i still dont make enough for everything so yes i need foodstamps and free lunch. You try to work a 12 hour day 6 days a week and come home do homework check baths dinner laundry and still have time to cuddle. i dont have time to make their lunches and i cant afford to pay for them at 3 bucks each. 

Get over it. 

tammyhunt11
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM
6 moms liked this

While I think there are people who take advantage of the system, there is a genuine need for some people to have resources for free lunch. What about someone who got laid off over the summer and does not know about these resources? What about a drug addicted parent who just does not care to send their child to school without a lunch or money for one? Let's not feed a child because of this?

A basic, sandwich, a water and apple qualifies as an appropriate lunch to you for a hungry child? What is wrong with you? We should not help feed hungry children of parent who for one reason or another either can't or won't provide a sufficient lunch? Not for nothing I will NEVER be OK with watching a child go hungry. It is not their fault.

Recycle the paper if it bothers you that much. But I can tell you that I will never be against free or reduced school lunches, whether or not the family is in genuine need or playing the system. And I would even encourage my child to share their lunch with someone who has not been provided one.

Tammygrey ribbon

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Sure it is when you're applying it only to poor children.

Quoting Anonymous:

a sandwich an apple and water is not punishment.  At our house we call that lunch

Quoting AutymsMommy:

So children should be punished because their parents do not make much?

Just as an interesting tidbit, my sister has her masters in social work and works in that field. IF she had a child (she doesn't), her income is low enough that she would qualify for PA - including free lunch for the hypothetical child. Can you imagine a world without people in such important, but crappily paying, positions? Every job has a place in society.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

so the kids should be starved and miss out on some what of a nutrient meal because the parents are poor?

fnpdocgrrl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

So kids on free lunch have their hands out for freebies, huh?

You've got some frightening ideas.

STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this

yeah, there is a reason why people like you go anon... put your own name on this kind of vitriolic crap.

There ARE people out there who do not know that they qualify for free or reduced price lunch and who do not know how to apply.   EVERYONE who receives some kind of assistance is not  a freeloading POS... some of them are honest hard working people who fell on a bad situation... often through no fault of their own.

My kids do not get free or reduced lunch.  We do not qualify, and we do not have the need.  If we did, or ever do, I pray we do not come up against some POS like you who thinks my kids should be grovelingly grateful for the basic sandwich, apple and water that you are grudgingly willing to allow them to have.

tossed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

EVERY lunch that is served in a school cafeteria in a school participating in the national lunch program is subsidized, even those who pay full price for the lunch. The federal government has a reimbursement schedule. For every fully PAID breakfast or lunch, the school is reimbursed a certain amount; more for a reduced meal; even more for a free meal. So, even if you pay the FULL listed price for a breakfast or lunch at school, the federal government has paid for a portion of the meal....it is all on the reimbursement schedule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN