Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

free lunch at school, do they really need to send out flyers?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I received an envelope advertising free and reduced lunches for low income from my sons school  First off those who have their hands stuck out for freebies pretty much know how to find those resources, just look at all those on welfare.  Do they really need to send out flyers?  there are some 500 families in our district.  When you add the cost of envelopes, stamps, resources used to stuff all those envelopes and now send them.  Shouldn't that be the burden of the families seeking freebies to go and find that information at the school rather then have the school  incur another cost.  I think the free lunches should consist of nothing mote that a basic sandwich and apple and a water.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
dustinsmommy74
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this
You are a very selfish person. Maybe one day it will be your child needing free lunch. Karma is a bitch...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM

UM YEAH IT CAN!!!!!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

bread, peanut butter, ham, cheese, water apples  do not break the bank if a family can't afford that there is a problem

Quoting tossed:

Yes, they do need to send out the information. Honestly, many kids go to school without eating or without enough food. Good nutrition is important for learning. While you may think people would automatically know that the service is available or that their income qualifies them for a service, that is not necessarily the case. I know a LOT of parents who were not aware that they qualified for reduced lunches. Having that little bit of extra support allowed the kids to eat better and thus, learn more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

i hope one of your kids is a single parent and needs help then maybe you will stop being such a rude bitch about this

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

it's punishment through discrimination.

Quoting Anonymous:

a sandwich an apple and water is not punishment.  At our house we call that lunch

Quoting AutymsMommy:

So children should be punished because their parents do not make much?

Just as an interesting tidbit, my sister has her masters in social work and works in that field. IF she had a child (she doesn't), her income is low enough that she would qualify for PA - including free lunch for the hypothetical child. Can you imagine a world without people in such important, but crappily paying, positions? Every job has a place in society.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

That is not a well balanced meal. What about the veggies? Where are the good fats? Sorry some over processed lunch meat sandwich an and apple is not a meal that is a snack and the child would then have issues with learning and processing their school work. They would also be hungry and it is not fair to the child because the parents made mistakes.

tossed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

It may not break your bank, but there are a lot of kids who go to school hungry. I have teacher friends who keep snacks in their room to help their students.

I am glad for you that it won't break your bank, but due to a life threatening illness, I had to support my sons on SSDI (no food stamps or housing) and there were times when it would have broken our bank. I was financially capable of providing for them until a life threatening illness and 15 surgeries changed that forever. As a matter of fact, I have $1.65 until my Social Security check arrives next Tuesday. My sons have now graduated, but if I had to pay for stuff for 2 lunches a day this week, I would not have been able to do so.

Quoting Anonymous:

bread, peanut butter, ham, cheese, water apples  do not break the bank if a family can't afford that there is a problem

Quoting tossed:

Yes, they do need to send out the information. Honestly, many kids go to school without eating or without enough food. Good nutrition is important for learning. While you may think people would automatically know that the service is available or that their income qualifies them for a service, that is not necessarily the case. I know a LOT of parents who were not aware that they qualified for reduced lunches. Having that little bit of extra support allowed the kids to eat better and thus, learn more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

More funding. Also as far as the very most basics for the free lunch kids. No. They deserve to eat the same as everyone else. Why? because they are children. What is this train of thought that dictates that a child be punished for the mistakes or unfortunate circumstances of his or her parents? I have seen it. I worked in a school lunchroom. They had a system in place for negative accounts (this is for those on reduced or full pay that went negative due to lack of payment) it required that when an account got X amount in the negative that the child would be given a cheese sandwich, milk or water and an apple. I saw the kids who got these 'punishment' meals.  the little ones crying at the table because they knew that the other kids knew what it meant that they had that lunch instead. Some were humilated to the point of letting the lunch sit in the sack rather than pull it out and let everyone know. Kids have enough pressures at school, there is enough bullying as it is. Having the 'poor kids lunch' just gives the bully kids another opportunity.

bex55
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Poor children are not jail inmates. You opinion as to what type of food those children should receive is disgusting. I actually agree about the waste of resources, but it pains me to say that since you are such a bigot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Well aren't you just a big ball of compassion.

The schools get government funding based on the amount of kids that qualify for free or reduced lunch, so it's in the school's best interest to make sure they have accurate numbers of those who qualify.

tammyhunt11
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with you. This post infuriates me. I can not believe a mother who be ok with watching another child go hungry.

Lets hope her life stays perfect forever and she never is in need!!

But if her child one day is in need of services, I will be first in line to help!

Quoting dustinsmommy74:

You are a very selfish person. Maybe one day it will be your child needing free lunch. Karma is a bitch...

Tammygrey ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)